John Deere 455 Good Deal or Not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lee Homan, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

Talked to a guy today that had a 98 JD 455 with 22hp diesel and 400 hrs.. Looked real nice, wanted 5700.00. Would this be a good deal or not?

2. JOshua Gallerick

JOshua Gallerick LawnSite Member

That sounds like a good deal. Buy it from him before he realizes that he could get more. Check the hydro housing for major leaks but I guess it would still be under warranty
    so just get it.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have the 430 diesel, which is what the 455 replaced. Mine is a 1990 and it gets used from fall to spring every year. With a 3 point hitch and an aerator, you have a nice combo. 400 hours, the engine is about broke in now. ;)

The price sounds good, I don't know if I would sell mine that cheap. From what I have heard, they are selling for about what they cost new when I bought mine. It seems hard to believe, but this is what I heard. I have 2 Yanmar engines and they are great engines. If you have a use for this machine, I would get it after checking it out for leaks and things. If you are getting it for mowing, I would rather have a ZTR. I never mow with the JD since I got Choppers. Your production will double with a ZTR over a tractor mower with the same size deck.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Lee,

Sounds like a good deal, offer $5500 and see if he takes. What do you have planned for this unit? Mowing? Hauling? Snow blower? The Yanmar 22 is a great engine! If they made this with 4WD and 4Wheel steer, it would be just about perfect.

Good luck

5. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

> If they made this with 4WD and 4Wheel steer, it would be just about perfect.

They do make it with half that. The four wheel steering part. I know a guy that uses one for his main mower. I think it will leave a 10" circle of uncut grass. It's still rumored that John Deere is coming out with something to compete with Kubota's BX series sub compacts. But it will probably be 4wheel drive and no 4wheel steering.
    Grateful

6. mmorgan

mmorgan LawnSite Member

Being a John Deere man, you have stumbled onto a great deal. Is is all wheel steer? If it is, bonus!! As far as the rest of the mower, they are bullet proof. A ztr will be more productive for mowing, but if you need a tractor, you will own the best. If you don't buy it, let me know, I will.

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

I would buy it for that price, leaks or not! Let me know if you decide not to!!

8. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if you can mount a box blade on it to do small jobs. Originally I wanted to purchase a 60' ztr and 36' walk behind but I feel like where I'm at in the business right now that a 455 for tilling, cleanups and mowing(only a few big yards to mow)plus having the capability to use a box blade would be the best setup.

9. Lee,

If it does not have the 3 point hitch on it you can add that pretty easy. You should be able to use about a 4 ft box blade, you're only limiting factor will be traction. I myself would jump on this unit at that price. Too bad I don't have the extra cash laying around.

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have a 48" box scraper for my JD 430 and it does a good job. With a power angle blade on the front and the box scraper on the back, you can move a lot of dirt with that set up. I have the bar type (farm tractor tread) for mine and I don't have much of a traction problem with it. As Rich said, you can get the 3 point hitch for it for not to much if it isn't there now. It is a good all around machine, but not the best for mowing. A ZTR is more productive, but this one will get the job done.