1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John deere 48 inch WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shm, Aug 31, 2003.

1. shm

shm LawnSite Member

hey all- i am going to look at a JD GS45 with the 48 inch deck and 14HP Kawa tomorrow that is a 1998 model...the owner swears that it is in "showroom" condition...but it does sound a little sketchy....he say's it's been barely used...we'll see...anyway... he is asking $1200 for it....any thoughts?...i know the new ones go for just under 3000. any info on how they were bilt back then...or should i stick to buying a new exmark metro or toro proline?
  2. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh dear lord!!!!:eek:
  3. shm

shm LawnSite Member

now what does that mean?....good deal...or not?
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Offer him a grand...no more. I say he takes it. Even though it is supposedly in showroom condition, it's still 5 years old (and soon to be 6).
  5. shm

shm LawnSite Member

anyone else---thoughts?
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Even he offers $500 for that JD, which he wouldn't, I still don't buy that JD. The cut sucks, period, let alone you have to put up with -hard like hell that- pistol grip besides being belt drive. Exhaustion, bro.
  7. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

ive had 3 48 deere w/b over the years (gs75 w/ 17 kawa.) we put em through the mill, they cut great and striped awsome. i cant complain at all. i replaced them with the 54" hydro deere w/b im happy with it as well. i heard they will have the new versions out in nov.??
  8. shm

shm LawnSite Member

it seems that with the JD WB's you either love 'em or hate 'em on this board...with that said it seems that if this mower is in great shape it would be worth the $1200 he is asking...i just don't want to get stuck with a clunker that is 6 years old and not worth a dime...which i don't think is the case...i just know that the JD walk-behinds have been a little behind the market for many years now...they have focused their marketing on their riders and tractors of course....just wanted to get some opinions from this board as to what kind of reliability i would be dealer with with this model (GS45)and year(1998) mower....any more opinions would be great.... but I see the trend already,...most on this board live and die by the exmarks and for the money they seem to be great...i'm trying to see if i can save a grand and get a great mower that will last