1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

john deere 54" or toro 52"?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snakasnee, Dec 29, 2005.

1. snakasnee

snakasnee LawnSite Member

im just starting out and have limited dough. i found a 52" toro wb, belt drive, 18hp kohler, w/ t-bar handles, mulch kit, and velke for $1300. the same guy has a john deere 54" wb, w/ 5 speed transmission, 17hp, w/velke for $2000. both mowers were made around '97, have elect start, floating deck. the deere has about 400 hours on it. the toro has about 800 on it. any thoughts???
  2. snakasnee

anyone? bump.....
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Well what you will hear on here is us Deere guys telling you to get the Deere and the Toro guys telling you to get the Toro..like Chevy vs. Ford. So the best advice is for YOU to try them both out and see which one YOU like better. They are both good mowers, but I will also offer this. Those prices are CRAZY HIGH for 9 year old belt-drive walkbehinds.
  4. snakasnee

thanks mike that's what i need to hear. should i fool with something that old to begin with? should i fool with belts or go straight to hydro. thanks a bunch!!!
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Other than effecting the price the age isn't as important as the number of hours. If you are just starting and have limited funds then go with a belt drive and you can move up. ALSO think about the Better Quick 36 mower. I currently have a 2006 model at my shop testing it for TURF Magazine and it has done well so far and it is a single Hydro and is only about $2K I think including the shipping. They are a sponsor here too, so you can click on their link to go to their www site. The owner Gary is a straight shooter.
  6. snakasnee

is there an equivalent to kelly blue book for lawn mowers? or a website that lists market prices for used mowers? im shooting totally in the dark here.
  7. tat900

tat900 LawnSite Senior Member

when i started out i had a 52" and 37" toro walk behinds and the 52 " leaves scalp marks bad on un even property i now have a 717a deere and the 37" toro still love my toro but isint built as well as a deere i hadalso a exmark 48" and hated it father now owns it

CHRIS MELROSE LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

Drive the Dear John and then drive the Toro. You will find the "T" bar design on the Toro is far easier to operate, especially after 5-10 hrs...And anyone who says a "pistol grip" is the way to go hasn't spent much time behind a "T" bar...The laws of physics are stacked against them!
  9. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

yeah ive been looking for the same thing...