John Deere 7 Iron Decks.. Who has them ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Sep 17, 2003.

1. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering who of you out there have John Deere machines with the 7 iron decks.. have a question regarding leaf blowout ?? Today was the first day I really had quite a bit of leaves to deal with since I got the machine... And was noticing alot of blowout out the front of the deck ????? I am assuming this is because the front of the deck is angled higher than the rest of the deck ??? are there any optional baffles available or has anyone made anything ???? I was thinking if nothing is available I would just attach a piece of 1/2" angle iron to the inner front baffle creating a lip.. Thinking this would help ??? what do you think??

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try meg-mo . i got almost no blowout on my ultracut deck.
    John

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm running Meg Mo blades with my 7 Iron deck. I don't have any blowout. Seems to really help the 7 iron decks.

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I run the mulch kit on mine and it is a little lower in the front so I haven't had that problem. But when I was running regular chute, in dusty areas a lotta dust would come out the front.

5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Same Here I run The mulch Kit Little or no Blow out :blob1:

6. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

I run the mulch kit also mainly because in stock form the JD shoots clippings out too far so it's hard to keep beds clean and the clippings are very visible on the lawn. In addition I'm running one of the real thin Bobcat highlift blades on each spindle in addition to the JD mulching blade. It does make a noticeable difference in the quality of the cut.

7. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades and like John said they will do a good job on those 7 iron decks. I saw DLCS flying low yestday with is 7 iron JD.

8. QuikKutLawn

QuikKutLawn LawnSite Member

Meg-Mo

What's the best way to get your blades for a 60" JD 7-Iron?

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Money! J/k:D

10. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed on a drive by of the JD dealer that the 7 iron deck seems to be shallower in the front, is that to keep the grass up right longer?
    It would pesent a blowout issue I 'd guess.