John Deere 7 Iron owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KTNC, May 24, 2005.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

To all with these mowers:

As a prior JD owner (yellow deck tractor) who moved up to an Exmark Lazer I'm looking for your feedback on these new machines... I've done a lot of searches and read most of the threads on these machines but still have questions:

First let me say I love my Lazer, its fast, handles well, and cuts exceptionally well... I cut mainly fescue/bluegrass mix and my only real complaints are:

1 - the "clumping" in wet grass,
    2 - its tendency to "windrow" when mowing heavier grass.

The discharge chute on the 7 iron seems much larger, and I've read how it throws the grass very far, etc (My Lazer only throws it a couple of mower widths over). But how does it do regarding the above issues I have? Will it eliminate those problems, and what is the quality of the cut, stripe, etc..?

2. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

KTNC,

I have never cut with a Lazer but know a lot of guys who do.
    Comparing the cut side by side the JD wins. The one thing that I love about mine is that it does not clump at all... Striping is about average, I just ordered the stripe kit so that should make a big difference. I personally care much more about the quality of cut than stripes. The 7 Iron deck cuts better than every other machine that I have used (Scag, Lesco, Bobcat, Bunton and Yellow Deck John Deere.) My machine has held up very well (No Problems) and I would definitely recommend John Deere's Z Track to anyone. :waving:

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You must not have a ULTRACUT deck then, this is one of if not the best deck on the market

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Man.... I gotta ask.... are you raising the chute on the Lazer?

Is yours the UltraCut or Trivantage?
    What cutting width?
    What blades are you running?
    Have you had your engine RPM checked?

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have both a lazer z and and JD 737. I mowed a large yard today with 12 inch tall wet grass and weeds and I was amazed at how the lazer did not leave one clump of grass, dispersment was very smooth and clean looking. My 737 has no baffles under the deck and it also cuts great but I will have to say the exmark leaves the finest manicured look of any mower I have ever used. However, the JD does fine to but in tall wet grass it will leaves some clumps, not bad, but some. Also the JD throws the grass twice as far as the Exmark. I have only used my lazer 3 times so Im still sorta partial to my JD but that could change.

6. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 737 and it cuts pretty well in wet grass to me. It doesnt clump and does trow the grass pretty far. Tp me it just doesnt make the grass cutting small enough. Maybe its just me. It lso doesnt stripe well stock compared to other mowers. If you want a stripe you will have to make a kit. But if you opt for the 60 inch deck JD makes a roller., but not for the 54 Good luck

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

54 inch roller is now availiable. part listing says o5 model, my dealer is checking into what changed between 04 & 05 decks.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't think there are any changes in the 7 Iron decks unless its a mulch on demand. But JD hasn't made them in a 54" deck yet.

I think the 48" roller is out too.

I also heard a rumor that JD is making the roller standard in 06.

9. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

Yes, chute is raised
    Ultracut
    60 inch Lazer w/ 25 hp Kohler
    OEM excalibur hi lifts
    No, tell me how... I've often wondered if this was a problem...

Any suggestions regarding different blades or RPM's would be appreciated...

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You know, I think the quality of cut has alot to do with location.