John Deere 7 Iron Striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Oct 9, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Most of you guys know I recently got a 23/54 Quicktrak. So far I've been pretty pleased.

I am however, a little dissapointed in the striping. When I demoed the 48" this spring, it striped real nice. Now, the stripes lack definition. It's not an issue with the grass, because the grasshopper is still striping well.

I checked the deck set-up, and it's set-up properly per the manual. However, the manual calls for the rear of the deck to be 1/4" higher than the front, as measured at the blades, front to back.

I'm running just single hi-lifts right now. I'll be using gators as soon as they come in (dealer back order).

Haven't I read here that the back of the deck can be lowered to improve striping? Any other suggestions?

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

my 7 iron sucks at striping. I made a kit for mine

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

ditto here too. I took a Dixie Chopper stripe kit that I bought on eBay and mounted to the back of the M655 and made a like kit for the 757. Both stripe fairly good.

4. gobbles2700

gobbles2700 LawnSite Member

I have a 797. In my search for a guard part number I stumbled across the striping kits for 60" and 72" decks. I just looked real quick but they dont seam to have one for the Quik trak but you could ask your parts guy to be sure.

5. GreenMonster

from NH

They may have gotten 6 grand from me for the mower, but they sure ain't gettin' $500 for a stripe kit.

I was thinking either using chains between the drive tires, or mounting a roller behind the deck (parts through Grainger, Northern or similar supplier).

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try the one that scag uses.
    John

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

They don't make one for the 54" decks just the 60 and 72". I paid around $300 for mine. I'm not going to buy one for my other 757 doesn't work well enough for me. Just running meg Mo blades gives a better defined stripe.

8. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 60in stripe kit off my lazer has about 20hrs $150 it's yours!

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

GreenMonster,

Looks like, in pictures, that there is all kinds of room behind the deck to mount a homemade stripe kit. Don't pay big bucks for a factory one. They work no better.

You can use places like existing bolt holes at the scalp rollers, ect, to mount it. Do a search for mounting info and bracket fabrication here. Then go to McMaster Carr and order a good diameter roller to fit your width needs. Or you can just mount a flap of rubber. I would really think that in NH a rubber flap would be enough to do the job.

10. GreenMonster

from NH

What does Scag use?