John Deere 7 Iron Striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Oct 9, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

yeah, on my other mowers, striping was better defined with doubles -- hi lift/gator. I want to try the same with the Q/T, but gators are out of stock.

2. GreenMonster

from NH

Yes. I agree with everything you said.

There does look to be many different mounting locations on the deck. If I do go that route, I'll pick up a roller and bearings from McMaster, Grainger, Northern, etc.

I did try it the other day with a piece of rubber just to see how it would work. I simply attached it to the operator platform with plastic ties. It didn't work great, but I don't think the rubber was heavy enough.

3. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 647 with the 48" deck. My cut was beautiful but my stripe was weak. I made my own kit out of rubber flap.I am trying to include some pics.

Quick trak stripes.JPG

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Tractor Supply Co has these large rubber stall mats that are thick and less flexable. It doesn't need to be terribly stiff, but not thin floor mat flimsy either. For best results, mount it to a piece of metal at the top. Something like the square stock at Lowes with the holes already in it. Just make sure there is no chance of the rubber getting under a tire or into a blade.

5. GreenMonster

from NH

bntt68

Those are pretty decent stripes.

How about a pic of your "stripe kit".

Thanks for you input Envy, I will try thicker/stiffer rubber before going through the trouble of fab'ing a roller type kit.

6. GreenMonster

from NH

bntt-

how does your 7 iron discharge? Whoever said stamped decks don't discharge well hasn't tried one of these. Beds 15' away ain't safe! :dizzy:

7. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

here's a few pics from a 50hp Dixie equipped with meg-mos and a rubber flap for striping................Lynn

lawn pics 007.jpg

lawn pics 037.jpg

DLCS likes this.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Big League Lawns. com

John

9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

That heavy belting hanging down 2 inch. below edge of deck does the job and very inexpensive.

10. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member