John Deere 7 Iron Striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Oct 9, 2004.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

My wife made these this morning cutting at 3 1/2 inches with the Hustler XR7 66" mulcher and a stripe roller. I gave her a hard time for her crooked lines but she didn't get much sleep she said. I'm not complaining she usually does a good job even on bad days. The grass was dripping wet when we mowed it this morning this is the 2nd pass the 1st was messy.

Hustler stripes 038.jpg

2. sellers_jon

sellers_jon LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

thank for some pic of some stripes. sure wished mine looked that good. Man a girl made my stripes look weak.lol. I tried adjusting my kit so i guess i'll see how it works tommorrow or in a few hours thank again for the pic.

3. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

I have posted some pics of stripes in other posts but here is one from yesterday. It is not my best work by any means...

09_01_06_1008.jpg

4. MJB

from Wa

It helps when you live up north the lawns stripe easier than down there. I like the roller over the rubber flap though. The grass here is fine and tears easily so some flaps can do more damage if set up wrong. I also have seen flaps that drag the gravel onto the lawn etc if there set to low or to stiff. I'm sure you'll get it figured out. I would like to see how a roller works out there versus the rubber flap.

5. sellers_jon

from N.C.

So far or for now the rubber worked better for me.But I also had mulchin blades. Im just worndering if that aint my problem now.Even with the flap mulchin blades done better. Guys rubber or roller my stripes dont look like these pic so thumbs up they look good. My stripes look pale.I adusted my roller it done a little better.I would like to see a pic of a john deere set up with the roller just to get a idea what I need to do.Man sure would like stripes like thoes pic.

6. MJB

from Wa

ENVY
    "Hi... our grass here in NC doesn't stripe real easy like it does for those guys up north. Even the cool season grasses here are stiffer than they are up there during more sunny years like this one... unless it's a shade lawn of course. I guess it's the intensity of the sun that makes our grasses so hard/coarse. "

Envy sometime take a close up of your cool season grasses and post it. Up here we cut at 3.25 to 3.75 with a few shorter and longer. But where I live we don't see a cloud all summer most yrs. We are in Wa St but it's all desert here with 300 days of sunshine per yr. So the sun may not be the difference. We have a dry heat you have a humid heat. I'm thinking maybe you just have a mix of cool season grasses mixed in with the your southern turf. Just not enough to stripe easily. Just trying to figure out the difference. I don't need the striper roller out here to stripe with the Hustler at all it stripes without it, but thats how easy this grass lays over.

7. MJB

from Wa

Jon, My mowers stripe better with the muching kit on than off. The stripe is darker. But when I side discharge with mulching blades the grass clippings cover the stripes up even after double passes. How much pitch or rake do you have ?

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

MBJ... I'll do that... might even have some in a file somewhere already.

It would be interesting to know for sure. But even pure stands of cool season grass do not stripe easily. But I notice the character of the Fescues changes with the weather. When it's real healthy and getting plenty of sun it is tuff and stiff. The hotter it gets, the coarser it gets, and then there is the point where just before it starts to 'heat-stress'... it like wilts sort of and stripes easier.

The warm season turf stripes close to the same. It's just that the grass blades are different and do not catch the light quite like fescues and such do.

9. sellers_jon

from N.C.

I'm not understanding what a pitch or rake

10. sellers_jon

from N.C.

I'm not understanding what a pitch or rake.