John Deere 7 Iron Striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Oct 9, 2004.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Sorry, I wanted to know if you have measured the difference between the front tip of your blades and the rear tip when pointing them forward. Usually you should have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch difference with the rear or back of the blade being higher off the concrete than the front.

2. sellers_jon

sellers_jon LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

I have adjusted my roller a little lower. It stripes a little better but i still have high lift blades,waiting for the gator blades to come in.does any one know if the gator blades are better with the striping kit

3. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

If you buy a Great Dane Chariot you don't need no striping kit ;)

I love my chariot and bought it for the quality of cut and stripes.

See avatar.

4. MJB

from Wa

60" or smaller ?? Do you have any pics to show it's cut and striping ability?

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I liked the Chariot LX cut and stripe from the Gen II deck also.
    I liked the way it handled naturally for me even more.
    I liked the center sticks too.

But I couldn't get them to cut higher than 3" or so at the top setting and you could not adjust the cutting height to match the selector, because if it were any higher, a pulley would have came in contact with the underside of the machine.

I ended up passing although I liked almost everything else.
    Turned out for the best though, because that dealer went belly-up.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The one I had here was a 61" Chariot LX w/suspension seat and Gen II deck.
    I put up a review here about it.

It really does cut and stripe well with no help.
    But before trying it, I took one look at the deck design and swore it wouldn't cut anything.

They may eventually become something more than they have been.
    Everride owns Great Dane now, so maybe some issues will improve...
    But who knows... Everride might not be any better at managing them.

7. MJB

from Wa

I've seen em in the Turf and Pro Landscaper mags but don't think we have any dealers around here. I usually don't even look for the dealer until I've heard or read that they mulch decent. Every mower from here on out for me needs to be able to do both in my opinion.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Envy, what part of N.C. do you live in. Piedmont, costal plain, foothills, etc. I know they have many types of soil and rainfall amounts there. Pretty sandy in the costal plain I imagine. We have clay, yellow soils with high amounts of lime in the central part of the state. Southern grasses are native but there has been wide spread planting of fescue (some bluegrass) due to the fact that it grows well and stays green almost all year.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Which mower on the first pass? Please explain in detail what height the first pass vs second, direction of cut first vs second, etc. I have never used a mulcher, just wondering about build up in these wet condition. Of course I have to scrape quite often during wet weather here, even with side discharge. Don't you use the Lazer on the first pass? Your wife can probably mow as strait without sleep as I can with.

10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Was the demo surface the same, or special?