John Deere 717A Z Trak Verticle Shaft 19 HP

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by mowjoeman, Aug 5, 2004.

1. mowjoeman

mowjoeman LawnSite Member

I hear alot of talk about having a good dealer to do business with and this I believe to be a plus if your serious and want to suceed , but we're all not as lucky in that respect as others are ? I live in central Florida and have a pretty decent amount lawns for the time in this business but realized it was time to buy a new lawn mower and after carefully looking into the half a dozen choices that I have, I picked John Deere mini 717A I have looked over the threads and didn't see anything about this paticular Model ? I haven't picked it up from the one of two Dealers available here in my neck of the woods Yet although it's paid for and everything and didn't want to have to travel over 1 hr to deal with any of the others , can anyone tell me anything about this mower? I didn't demo it because I have seen them work and couldn't find any reason why I shouldn't purchase this Model ? I have smaller properties and felt this was a good choice. besides the toro's and the more pricyer choices the price was right and the warranties were in Line can anyone tell me why I shouldn't pick it up? any feed back would be apreciated - Thanks Joe

2. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 717 not the 717A. There were slight differences between the two. The deck is wonderful and the mower has plenty of power. It is VERY heavy though. About 1050lbs. I am upgrading my trailer now because I have over-weighted my 6X12 enclosed Haulmark. Back on topic, when you look at the metal on the JD models in comparison to others you will see why there is a weight difference. I personally will buy another JD when upgrade time comes. The dealer in Savannah, GA is extremely good. They are Hendrix Machinery 912-964-7790. They had a couple in stock about a week ago. I don't know if this is close enough to you or not. Good luck.

Phil

3. mowjoeman

Thanks phil - I picked the machine up yesterday, Fri, the 6th and clocked about 7 hrs. I didn't even know that there was a 717? I didn't see it on the John deere Web site. One thing for sure is the 7 iron is heavier! and like you I also have the the 6x12 Just not enclosed, thats what I'll shoot for next an enclosed trailer to keep all the toys in. So far the machine seems fine! but anything is better than the 95 toro Proline 620 38" deck! Great machine but slow, it has a 20hp onan and very rough ridding. Well phil thanks for replieing I'm glad it was positive! Lord know's we can use the Positive. Good Luck - Joe

4. blankenshiplawncare

Thanks Joe,

The 717 is a 2003 model. the 717A was the 2004 model. Enjoy the green.

5. mowjoeman

Hey Phil - Thats what I figured that the 717 was an earlier Model ? Phil what do you do about blades for the 48" deck? Have you found better blades that maybe don't have to be changed as much or there isn't any such animal? how about the price I should pay for them ? I haven't even had enough time to look at the manual yet , I'll do that tonight! I was in a rush to take delivery because I was behind, I should have bought an extra set of mulching blades. What can you suggest as far as blades go for the John Deere ? Thanks Joe

6. blankenshiplawncare

The blade issue is tricky. Really its not. You have only two choices right now. The factory replacment blades @ 12-13.00 ea. or the mulch kit which is about 140.00. I have found the blades to be extremely durable. I have a habit of using the mower as a mini bush hog on a couple of properties. The blades and deck take it extremely well. I have been getting about 3 sharpings out of each set of blades. They are suppost to be comming out with a gator blade for it this year. I hope before the leaf season starts down here. I looked at the 717A again today at a dealer here in Savannah, The deck lift is different also and the 1/4" deck adjustments. I only have the ability to adjust 1/2" at a time. Best of luck on this. I am sure you will enjoy the mower. Maybe someone monitering this post or reading it will have some different info on the blades and can share.

7. mowjoeman

Phil - You said that you were up grading your trailer since the weight was alot more? My problem as well, and I can't fit the two Machines on the same trailer, I have a problem now as well! someone suggested that I change out the leaf springs to what he refered to as a multi leaf spring? and said that you should bring one of the old leaf springs with you when you buy the multi so they know what size to give you and the Holes line up! I have some work to do on the trailer as well, I'm only short by a few inches so I have to extend the front by about 2 feet if i'm not mistaken? I'm not making alot of extra money at this point so it's either that or keep my eyes open for a good used one for now ? But I finally bought the deere so that I could rise to the occasion and increase the amount of acct's. Have to think big, to make big $$$$ Good Luck - Joe