john deere 717A

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jeff Voorhies, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Jeff Voorhies

Jeff Voorhies LawnSite Member

What do you think of the blade bearing system on the 717A as a comparison to the scag (timken bearings) and the exmark double machine bearings? Do you think the john deere system would hold up as well as the other two?
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

The 717 was one of the best mowers I ever owned and now have a 737. However, I will never own another one because of the AWFUL dealers we have here. Called 4 last week for a price, the one I purchased 3 mowers from was "too busy" to talk with me and never called back, second one was rude because I did not buy my other 3 mowers from them, the last 2 acted like they were doing me a favor even talking to me and last one told me they were not into the mowers to much just tractors. Basic uncaring dont care if we sell you anything or not.
  3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 595 & 495 with the greasable spindles, and I kept the old style 60" decks I had under the former 455's I traded in, so these decks have around 3000 hrs or more on them. They have greasable spindles and basic ball bearing construction, and I have never replaced a bearing yet. I run doubles all the time also. Thanks Brad PS. I give each spindle 5 pumps of Rykotac grease (by chevron)
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a JD 717A in May this season. The maintenance instructions say to grease the spindles every 25 hours of service. But, it does not say how much to grease them.

Flex-Deck, you say 5 pumps. Is this every 25 hours? Or, more frequent? Is you gun a pistol action, or a side-handle pumper? I had a side-handle, until this season, when I switched to a pistol. I believe the pistol produces considerably less grease per pump than the side-handle one.

What about others with a 7 Iron II deck? How many pumps of grease every 25 hours of service?

In general, greasing instructions for equipment are very poorly stated. Often, "daily" or "weekly" is the instruction, without regard to hours of service, and how much grease to use. Manufacturers need to do a better job on this matter.
  5. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i have the 717A,but have not got to cut with it much due to rain and being sick.
  6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

About every 25 hrs is when I give the spindles the grease. Sorry - I meant to qualify that. It is a pistol grip
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I give all my 7 Iron decks 3 pumps per spindle once a week. I haven't had to change a spindle yet due to dry or bad bearing.
  8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

This is interesting because I went to a dealer far from I live and saw the 717 and a tiger cub. The guy talking to me said the scag had the best bearings and was the best over the deere. And this guy is a DEERE dealer. I still liked the deere over scag even when he said to get the scag. I was dreaming though because I couldn't get one.
  9. derekarbeiter

derekarbeiter LawnSite Member

The John Deere 717A is a great mower. Very reliable, kaw is great, 7-Iron II deck is the best despite what you may hear on this site. All in all wonderful machines.
  10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

On paper the scag technically has the better spindle bearings but if the JD's are holding up (ours did) then they are functionally just as good.