John Deere 717A

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cuttinitclose, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

2005 John Deere 717A: 160hrs, 19/48 $4500
    2006 JD 717A: 240hrs, 19/48 $4600

Which one is the better buy?
    717a.jpg

717a2.jpg

717a.jpg

717a2.jpg

2. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the 2006. It's only $100 more.

3. Cuttinitclose

But nearly twice the hours.

4. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

In the pictures you post the front forks on the 06 look to be forged heavy duty, where the 05 looks to be a much lighter weight stamped steel. Are you sure they are the same model?

5. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just by looking at the pictures and not having seen or inspected these mowers in person, I would go with the 05. To me the 06 looks like it came from some guys rig when he traded up so I would expect more wear due to the nature of commercial cutting and the higher hours is also an indication. The 05, to me, looks looks like it came from a homeowner, as evidenced by the lower hours and over all better physical appearence of the unit so you can expect a mower that has not been beat up over the years. The 06 has more than twice the hours aculmulated in only three years where as the 05 has 160 hours over four years that translates to only forty hours a year as opposed to the eighty hours a year that the 06 has on it. Go with the 05 the age of the unit dosen't matter as much as hours do.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Any assessment on engine maintenance? The engine hours are low. You don't say your intended useage (e.g. expected hours of use per year). The 240 hours wouldn't scare me, if the engine had been maintained well.

I have run mine nearly 300 hours per season (same machine, 717A) for three seasons. Nothing on the machine seems used at all, excepting the deck belt. I'm still running the original, and it is starting to show signs of wear. The engine now runs just as well as the day I brought it home.

Where are the chute deflectors? In my experience, using the rubber deflector in the full down position provides the best distribution of clippings. Running with it up, or off the machine, will leave a slight windrow effect. I have mine on a chain and hook, so I can position it in any position, fully down, or fully up, or anywhere between. I've done so much experimenting, but for typical lawn mowing, fully down works the best. I hook the chain to put the deflector in the full upright position for trailering.

I really like my 717A - one of the best decisions I made to buy.

7. Cuttinitclose

Yes.

Thats what I thought.

No, I'll call about it monday the 05 has the deflector.

8. bighaydenslawn

bighaydenslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would say 2005 because of less hours. Same mower, so that only makes sense.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I would go with the 06. In 06 Deere came out witht he 7 Iron II decks, which has greater blade tip speed. But both decks are excellent, just that the 7 IronII is superior. Those hrs are nothing, they aren't mowing much at all with that machine. As far as the forks, either one is ok, never had a problem with either style.

10. Cuttinitclose

Thanks Guys!