John Deere 727A

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenWolverine00, Oct 21, 2005.

1. GreenWolverine00

GreenWolverine00 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Hey guys, I have been a memeber for a while, I just enjoy reading and seeing what other people have to say, but I finally need a little help with a question.

Right now we have the John Deer Stand-On 657 and it is getting to be to hard standing all the time. I love the 7-Iron Deck it is amazing.

We found the 727 which I now is a Mini Frame, from what I read it is only 4 inches shorter in length and an inch shorter in height than the midsize. The 737 and 727 both have the same motor and deck, so the only difference really is the frame and that is only 4 inches so it really isn't that big of a deal right?

Anyway I got quoted 7195 for the mower with the 23hp and 54" Deck. Is this about right, or do you think I would be better off waiting till spring...I know steel keeps going up by the day.

Thanks guys

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have been well pleased with my former 717 and 737. The 727 has the same frame size but bigger engine and deck than the 717. I will say I like the 717 better than the 737 for my acounts. In my area last time I priced a 727 was around 6500 and a 717 was around 5900. That 4 more horses on the 727 will make a difference in tall grass or esp. mulching. However, as restrorob pointed out they are treating Tony very poorly with his JD 997 and Im a little gun shy about buying anything else from them.

4. GreenWolverine00

GreenWolverine00 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Quality,

We are also looking at the 737 with the 54 inch deck. We found one to demo and it seems a little more roomy and better for the user. From the specs the only size difference seems to be 4 inches longer and 2 inches taller. The width is the same because the deck makes the width.

Why are you unhappy with the 737 when compared to the 717 and 727? It just seems like the 737 could be used for longer periouds of time and more user friendly cause it is a little bigger. I am interested to hear what you have to say though

Thanks

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish you the best of luck, while I'm sure the machines that have been in production for some time are fine, new to the market machines occasionally have problems, all I can say is whatever you buy I hope it works fine for you, because if it doesn't.....

well, the thread that explains my situation has already been posted.

I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you buy if it has been in production for awhile, to my knowledge deere generally make good gear, generally.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Greenwolverine, my 737 has been a great machine. The reason I liked the 717 better was it mulched much better than the 737 and also fit in my residentual yards easier with the 48" deck over the 60" on the 737. I will say the 737 has a more comfortable ride than the 717. Overall it depends on what you are using it for. If you are going to be doing a lot of residentual yards I would personally not go over a 54 ( I prefer the 48 better). Now a lot of folks on here will say the 60" but it just depends on what your needs are. I was going to orginally sale the 737 and keep the 717 and wished I would have many times! I now have to throw a push (ughh) mower on the truck or either take my Sabre to several yards. The 60" deck has actually taken me longer on several yards over the 48". Got one large yard with lots of shrubbery that used to take me 2 hours to do with the 717 that now takes me an extra 20 minutes to do with the 737. Big can be good or bad. Other than that the 737 has been a great mower. Did you read the above link by restrorob though?

7. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Well, let's first address the other's leading you to an article about the 997 in Australia. You never... ever buy a product the first year of production as all you are doing is the R & D for the manufacturer. The fellow from Aussieland may have a more unique situation as I know two 997's that run in our area that don't seem to have his concerns at all. They have no venting or circulation problems whatsoever.

I have used my 727A for two years now and love it! I really like the size as the 54" deck will still fit through any ones cyclone fence gate as long as it is the larger 60" opening. It mows a grooming cut at full speed and maneuvers well. I only wish it had slightly more power as it will down a few hundred RPM's going up a hill. But, in all fairness to the mower I am mowing with a set og Meg-Mo blades and a Masterchute and it has to haul my 262 pound carcass as well.

To clarify for you... it has the same 23 horsepower as the 737, but they are completely different engines. The 727A has the cylinders sitting horizontally and the 737's are vertical. With the 'just enough' power mine makes with the 54" deck I wonder if the same power on the 737 (with the larger frame and 60" deck) would be a bit much for the Kawasaki's same 23 horsepwer. Also make sure it is a 727A as the one year earlier 727 was a real failure for Deere.
    I have run Mobil One in it since birth and my only complaint is the amount of clippings that accumulate around the top of the deck at each of the three belt pulley low spots. I just leave the covers off (on the outer pulleys) and blow them off after each day. Dixie has a nice cure for that, on their decks, which is a set of impellers that rotate on top of the pulleys and 'fan' the grass clippings away.

I may be changing next year, but only because of larger account bidding I need a larger deck and more power and speed.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

No, thats not a very good deal. You should be able to get the 737 for that price. Biggest difference in the mid and the small frame Deeres are the engines. Mid size uses the horizontal kawasakis and the small frame uses the vertical kawasakis. I paid $7300 for my last 757 with 25hp kawasaki and 60" deck. You get he best deals from a JD dealer who sells Turf equipment only and not farm equipment too. I also think the service is better with the turf equipment only dealers.

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It's not the units, It's the PISS POOR Customer Support.