1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 757 Mulch On Demand or Hustler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cybervision, Jun 22, 2007.

1. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Check this recent thread out and read post #19 and #21. You and I are in similar situations.

3. deerex

deerex LawnSite Member

Stay from the mulch on demand! The only thing they do worth a crap is mulch leaves in the fall. I traded mine for a 757 7-iron 2 with a chute blocker and am very happy with that set up over the mod.
  4. cybervision

Thanks for the reply.
    I missed that thread in my searching. The dealer has a standard 757 Z for demo which I am going to try to get sometime next week. He did state that the MOD was not as good as the standard 7-Iron in both the discharge and mulching mode. He has only sold a 2 or 3 with little feedback though.
    Since the MOD is out I will have to decide between the 757 and 727A. I will demo the 757 first. I will never ever buy another machine without a demo first.

At worst case it will tell me if I am expecting too much out of the Hustler. Although it does not cut near as well as my 60" Bunton WB.
  5. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

My recommendation to you is to purchase a regular 7 IRON or 7 IRON II deck with an OCDC. :)
  6. cybervision

Do you find there is a difference in the cut quality, speed and distribution of clippings between the 60" an 54" decks? I am cutting about 1 acre with a lot of contoured beds and trees. I am looking into the 757-60"/25hp or 727-54"/23". Also, do you know if the 54" deck on the 727 and 737 are identical?

I know that is a lot of questions but I made a mistake getting the Hustler and it sounds like everyone really likes the cut from the JDs.
  7. mulligant

mulligant LawnSite Member

I had similar problems with a 52" Hustler deck. I believe the deck is too shallow at less than 4" deep. Also, it does not have much suction, distribution, or air flow. I have since switched to an 07 Hustler XR-7 deck and couldn't be happier.