john deere 757 vs. hustler Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by moremow, Aug 3, 2005.

1. moremow

moremow LawnSite Member
    from roanoke

I recently demoed a hustler Z , 23 hp 52" deck ZTR. I mowed the same yard that I had mowed the previous week with a JD 757 25hp . 54" deck. In short the Jd 757 mowed circles around the hustler. Granted I know there was a 2 hp difference between the two mowers but both were Kawasaki motors. The 757 was smooth and strong even going into the 1 ft tall grass areas, I went and mowed down along side a gravel road about 1/4 mile long and the 757 could not be stalled or slowed down,,there was no streaking at all,,also the controls were smooth and responsive and precise. It did not leave any traces on the lawns either as i made my turns. Held the steep hills extremley well. Now to the Hustler,,i was very disappointed especially after all i have read,,perhaps i needed to go to the bigger model to 25 hp or a super z ,,,it may have been different,,,but this 52" 23 hp stalled in taller grass and i had to slow down,it streaked in medium height grass,,found myself make repeat turns,,it left dig marks in the grass to when turning,,and even jumped from 3 inch height adjustment to 5 inches ,,when i hit a bump,,hope the bigger Hustlers are better,,,but for now,i would take the 757 as my choice,,smooth,strong,,held hills well,,,,,,,,,the hustler though did hold the hills very well too,,,even when i engaged the blades to turn it sounded like the motor was going to stall,,,,again,,i hope the bigger models of the hustlers are better,,

2. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info - I have not had the chance to compare these two together....what is your dealer asking for the 757?
    Have you looked at the snapper 52" joystick? All 7 gauge frame & deck, very responsive control, takes some discipline to handle after twin levers, but a great machine - and FUN!!waiting to see the 05' improvement assessments over the '04 models before I make a final decision....but love that JD 757 too - just hate the price. The best dealer support I have found here, believe it or not, is with our local husky and exmark dealer.....

Matt

3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

My super z does great. It had a 27hp kohler engine which has a little more power than a 23hp. The super z is a lot faster than just the hustler z.

4. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

I keep saying it is the yellow seat on that thing..........LOL Deere makes awesome equipment hands down. :cool:

5. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

7 Iron Deck.Sorry stamped can't compete..no welds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!