1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 757 Z-Traks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PCUTSLAWNCARE, Aug 15, 2005.

PCUTSLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

What do you think of a John Deere 757 Z-Trak and does anyone run them with a mulching kit in place on them? How does it hold up or does the motor bog down?

John Deere 757
    Husky 326L
    Redmax Trimmer
    Redmax Backpack Blower
    Stihl Edger
    6.6 x 14 trailer
    2003 Ford Truck

Perfection Cuts Lawn Care
    New Albany, MS 38652
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 737 with the mulch kit. It works good in short grass but will bog down big time in tall thick or wet grass. I will say the mulch kit eliminated most of my bagging. The 717 I had though with the muclh kit beat em all hands down, wished I had kept it. Now in the winter for straw/leaf cleanup it works great with gator blades. Will turn leaves and straw to dust.
  3. adam71234

adam71234 LawnSite Member

I have a 757 with a mulch kit. It mulches well, especially the gator blades. You can run through St. Aug, centipede, and bermuda quickly. Unless grass is way overgrown. Then there is bahia. You can cut through it at a decent speed, but I always have to double cut it. I am fortunate enough to have two mowers, one mulches and the other side discharge. I use the mulcher on the good grass while the side discharge runs through thicker grass and bahia. The mulch kit works well, but it is not quick to put on and take off. Probably 15-20 minutes to put on and 10-15 to take off.
    Also, I just tried using the mulch kit without the baffles around each blade. I only the side plate on that covers the discharge. Not a good idea. The mower didn't cut bahia any better and left a lot of clumping.
    The mulch kit can work for you. It just depends on your particular needs.

4. adam71234

adam71234 LawnSite Member

Also, the deck also has very little grass build up on it. And none when the grass is dry. I have been pleasantly surprised by this. Of course if the grass is wet, then it needs to be cleaned out. But it seems to be no worse than the side discharge deck.

thank you for your input
  6. rochenyguy

rochenyguy LawnSite Member

Curious what the lowest prices you've seen/paid for the 2005 JD757 with 60" deck? Lowest I've seen/heard so far has been $7650.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I paid 8250 tax and all for mine with a light kit on it
  9. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

$6,500 out the door for an '04 demo w/4.5 hours on it and a new JD mulch kit. Much more mower then I needed, but the price was to good to pass on.
  10. TLC Lawn Care

TLC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

My dealer told me JD is improving their blade tip speed on the '06 models so they can start competing w/ the Big Boys. My opinion is the 737/757/777 are the most costly but ineffective machines on the market. I base this solely on demos.