john deere 757

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by moremow, Jul 29, 2005.

1. moremow

moremow LawnSite Member
    from roanoke

used a 757 the other day for a demo,,,,,handled pretty well,,,ran it pretty quick on some grass that was about 10 inches tall and it cut it with no problem. One little thing that got my attention though,,when i was going a bit quick making a right hand turn down hill,the engine cut off,,,. I had just hit a bump and the JD dealer said it was a shutoff switch. Evidently my rear end came up off of the seat momentarily and the safety switch was activated. Other than that it mowed great and was pretty quick and responsive. It handled the hills rather well also. I will demo a Hustler super Z in a couple of weeks and see how they compare. Dont know if anyone else here has a 757 or any other Deere but this particular machine did perform well on the demo. The grass was a bit wet and it handled it quite well. I am anxious to try out the Huster from what i have heard on here about it,,,I may try a Scag wildcat as well. Any comments or info you folks have on any of these machines I welcome your input. Thanks
  2. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We have JD Z-Traks (777, 757, 717) and the 757 is always the most coveted machine on the trailer. It handles slopes better than anything I have ever used and the 7-iron deck leaves a beautiful cut. I have used alot of ZTRs through demos and real world applications and for my uses the JDs are the best machines. Now, you will hear how Sacg is the best or eXmark is the best or Hustler etc... The only way to know is demo, demo, demo. Good luck with your decision. If you want any additional info on JDs send me a PM and I will try to help you make an informative decision.
  3. anothertractor

anothertractor LawnSite Member

I bought a 757 late last year and I have about 110 hours or so on it. It has been very well suited for my applications. As has already been stated, demo several brands to see what works best for you. I had already demoed a Dixie Chopper and an Exmark before I got my hands on the 757. It has not been back to the dealer since I picked it up for the demo. It is a great machine and you would be happy with it but see what is best for your area as well as looking at the dealer support.
  4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I run JD equipment exclusively except for a WB, - I have a 455-495-595 - And in the past have had 300-332's - Will never run anything else - JD may cost a bit more to buy, but they are the cheapest mower you can invest in. They are easy to maintain - have great service, and last forever. I intend to put at least 5000 hrs an any JD I buy, and it will still be a great mower. I may put 10,000 on this new series (495 - 595)
  5. moremow

moremow LawnSite Member
    from roanoke

The dealer that i picked this up from has quite a few commercial mowers and tractors and is known in the area as a dependable dealer. They have been in business a good length of time. One more thing,,,,this gentleman at the dealership was the only person who called me back after i had entered their showroom. A place where i made a previous purchase knew i was in the market for a zero turn and I told him i was going to demo a 757,,,,,,,,,the guy at the Scag dealer just said,,well we have a good buy on a tiger cub right now. Lol,,,I guess it never entered his mind to offer one of his riders as a demo even though i had spent over $3,000 in purchases in his store before. If the machines i demo are even close in comparison I will go with the place that goes the extra mile and has good service every time. It is not like I buy a $8,000 mower each year or something. Customer service means more than what these folks consider. Nobody here I think would buy a new car without test driving it first. A dealer that offers a demo is light years ahead of the ones that think they are doing you a favor by letting you sit on their mower in the show room. Thanks for all of your input folks,,
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate admitting this but, I'm a little light weight 125 lbs, running my 737 at a fast rate I bounce like i'm on a trampoline, first day I had my 737 I used a plastic tie on the operator presence switch ( in other words I eliminated the seat safety switch) it was do that or never mow over 1 mph.
    by the way stability is outstanding on the deere, i really never worry about that switch being bypassed because the machine is so stable
  7. moremow

moremow LawnSite Member
    from roanoke

update! demoed a hustler z,,23 hp,,,,,52" deck,,,,,not impressed at all,,streaking,,stalling in tall grass,,,controls seemed off and un responsive at times,,,,the Jd 757 i demoed last week mowed circles around the hustler,,,,,the hustler and the 757 both did hold hills very well . But as far as anything else there is no comparison,,,buy the 757 over the hustler Z,,,,unless the super Z is a different animal,,perhaps it is,,did not demo it,,but everything about the 757 Jd i found was very positive,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  8. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

choose the deere , i own nothing but deere 777s 757s , i love them i really believe that there is no mower out there that can do what my jds do !! ive cut next to a grasshopper , exmark and scag , out mowed them all, hands down ! if you go green you will not be disapointed, the only problem for me has been jd credit getting my account screwed up , never a problem with the machines!! service from my jd dealer is absolutly second to none!!! and thats the way it should be !
  9. tshank

tshank LawnSite Member

Tried a 777 at the Roa. JD dealer and as far as handling and responsiveness, the JD was a slug compared to the Hustler. If the Hustler came from the dealer I think it did, you need to try one from a dealer that knows how to set up a machine.