John Deere 757

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Feb 1, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Does the 757 with 60 " deck have enough power for thick spring growth? I understand that the 777 or 797 do not have any trim ability with a 60" deck. Looks like a great little mower but I would rather have at least 27 hp with the 60" deck. I'm talking bi-weeklys and thick spring growth. I mow some thick grass and not sure the 25 would handle it at any reasonable speed. Not buying this year just learning.

2. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 737 54 inch 23kaw. and there are times when I wish I had more power in heavy spring growth. I can say this if I am cutting something that is overgrown say 6 to 8 inches the John Deere does a great job. It will bog down some. I get alot less stringers mowing overgrown lawns with the Deere over my exmarks but I am in the same boat as you. I can never have enough power. You don't need it alot of the time but it is nice to know it is there when you have to have it.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think JD should offer a 27-28 air cooled on this model.

4. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I am actually getting a 28 horse kaw. put on my 737. They are shipping it next week. Just under 2 grand. I run Deeres new bagging system and I need more power to run the unit. I am keeping my fingers crossed it is going to work. You are right though they do need to offer more engine options.

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I think John Deere needs to get larger engine options on all of their lines. I wish they made a 66" deck paired with a 32-34hp Vanguard!

6. willider

willider LawnSite Member

I like my 757's and have not had trouble with power from the 25 horse engines unless you let your blades get dull.

John Deere Rules!!! :weightlifter:

7. farmmower

farmmower LawnSite Member

I'm also looking at a 757 for a farm property. I can't decide whether to get a 54 or 60 inch deck. I'm coming from a 42" Cadet tractor so even a 54" 757 will get the job done a lot sooner. If I'm doing heavier weeds will I have better luck with a 54" deck? I'm mowing several acres and now it takes me 5 hrs. with the Cadet. I guess I think the 54" is a little more compact for storage. thanks

8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Tacoma I was really impressed with the 757 I demoed for 3 days. Uphill , even downhill, very stable. But my problem was with the MOD deck it just never had enough umph to side discharge the clippings far enough to scatter them . I would make a pass mulching at it would cut nice and clean but it left a trail on the right side, when I opened the door it didn't blow it out enough to make it dissapear. Maybe I needed different blades but they did not have anything else to try for that deck. But power was ok. In your area you might need the other deck for going thru real tall stuff. But try one out and you will find several things that are awesome compared to other brands.

9. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion the scag is the best for tall growth its has an adjustable front baffle and will scatter grass as far as you can see. I even like this machine in fall months, as I can chop and blow leaves until they are almost gone. I never vacuum a whole yard. I cut and blow everything to the center and I have another mower specifically for picking up the leaves that are left. I cut my haul away by over 60 percent. I have recommended the 48" tiger cub to a few LCO's here and everyone has been pleased with the choice.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

We have one with the 7Iron 1 deck. I'd like a little more power for running high lifts, but with medium lifts it does ok. The traction is pretty good. The cut is good. It will leave some stringers in tall grass but this season is rough on any deck in our area. The fertilized lawns are really reaching for the sky.