John Deere 757

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacovic, Jun 11, 2011.

1. tacovic

tacovic LawnSite Member

Im going to look at a 2008 54" JD 757 with a 23 hp kawasaki with 400 hours tomorrow. Its got the 7 iron deck. Anything I should be looking for? This will be my main mower so I need a reliable machine with a nice cut. Whats everyones opinion on this mower?

2. lawnsrme

lawnsrme LawnSite Member

We have a 757 and a 737. 757 has a 25 hp and the 737 has a 23 hp. I like the machines but they had overheating issues. Both of ours had a screen put in to keep debris from getting into the airflow chambers in the heads. I'm not a mechanic or anything just what i was told. our 737 had a new motor at about 700 hrs and now has around 1400 hrs and the 757 had some head work done around 800 hrs and now has around 1600 hrs. Everything was covered under warranty. I try to keep everything blown out good because of the overheating. Havent had any problems so for. I put in synthetic oil 15w50 after the warranty was up. The one is starting to leak oil pretty good. Other than that not bad.

Had problems with the one of the wheel motors and the pump on the 737. was under warranty. no problems with the 757, all original. Over all I like the mowers. Keep the oil and filters changed and keep everything greased good and it'll probably be a good mower for you.

3. tacovic

tacovic LawnSite Member

Thanks alot for the reply. How do you think these machines compare to others such as exmark/toro or scag? Do you think they are an equally solid machine? Was the 23 hp motor underpowered?

4. momstmg

momstmg LawnSite Member

Yes they are underpowered for hills, thick, or higher than normal grass. I had two 7 series(23 hp and 25 hp models). Great cutting machines just need a little more power. I have a z950 with 31 hp Now and It doesn't bog at all.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

Lost a Z737 motor due to the previous owner not having the engine shroud removed and cleaning the fins. Found that out the hard way. Traded it in on a Z830 (which I still have). The 737 (or a 757) is a good mower, but make sure the fins have been cleaned before buying or you may be in for engine troubles. The first indications are a loss of power.

6. tacovic

tacovic LawnSite Member

Good to know. Do you think a 23 hp kawi would be underpowered for this machine in a 54" deck?

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I lost the engine on mine at around 700 well maintained hours( the overheating issue) and no warranty. You could not give me another 737/757. Now the two 717's Ive owned have been bullet proof!

8. tacovic

tacovic LawnSite Member

Hmmm. Hes got a 540a as well. I figured the 757 would be a better machine. Whats the difference between the 757 and 717?

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

The 737 had the engine cooling fan facing under the back of the seat and it sucked in LOTS of dust and debri from this design without the cooling screen installed. The 717 faces up and does not have this issue. Im no mechanic just explaining it best I can from common sense. My deere dealer had the 737/757's lined up in a row with the same problem and all had 800 or less hours on them.

The 727 is also a good mower with a 23kaw engine. Also the 717 has a 19kaw which with the 48" deck has very adaquate power even running a mulch kit year round.

10. momstmg

momstmg LawnSite Member

My decks were 54" decks and yes it will still be underpowered.
    Posted via Mobile Device