John Deere 777 issue's

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by blankenshiplawncare, Apr 9, 2005.

1. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have two of these. Both are 2004 models. One has about 25 hours and the other about 60. Both have a right front caster wobble (shopping cart wobble). The one with 60 hours I had the dealer work on it and they replaced the wheel shaft. It still has the same problem. I wonder if this is more common than not. It appears that the right wheel doesn't have as much pressure on it. I used to own a 717 and this was not a problem. ADVICE GENTS PLEASE.

Phil

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

On my 717 I remember reading something in the owners manual about how to solve this, if I remember correctly it was an easy fix. I think it said to pop the 2 front caster covers off and loosen/tighten the nut but I will have to get the book out and make sure first. Its been about 2 years ago I read the article.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Titghten the castle nut and it should cure the problem. But don't tighten too tight. My 757's both did this after a few hrs and the castle nut just needed tightened a little.

4. blankenshiplawncare

Thanks guys. I will fiddle with that today. I want to check the tire pressure really close to. The back tires are huge and I'm afraid that would cause a tilt also if not dead on .

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

That was the exact word I was trying to remember, castle nut, seemed like an easy adjustment from what I read.

6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Tightening will help but be very carefull as most people have a tendency to overtighten which will cause premature wear and be a bigger problem than the chatter you currently have. I had a deere and a toro that were like this and the problem was never really resolved. Maybe the build tolerances cause this to be normal although the three buntons I have had since never do it and are as tight as new.Go figure.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Like I said, "do not over tighten". What I usually do is just hang one caster wheel off the side of the trailer ramp. Pop the bearing cap loose with a flat screw driver. Pull out the cotter pin and tighten the castle nut just enough so the wheel will swively freely with no drag. You will know it if its too tight, cause you will feel resisitance. Usually if the its too loose, you can pull the tire from side to side and see the slop.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If it's like the casters on my Lazer (most likely) you WANT to have drag.

Hanging one off the trailer gate....turn the caster sideways, if it drops back to straight, it's too loose.

Same with the wheel bearing itself.....should NOT spin freely.

9. blankenshiplawncare

I will work on this tonight and let you all know the results. Much appreciated on all the input.

Phil

10. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

i own two 757s and two 777s none of which have encountered this ! tightening the castle nut may just work, if not, try parking the machine
    on a flat level concrete surface and see if the caster is touching the ground
    it may be that you need a spaceing washer on the bottom side of the shaft,
    i would try just tightening it first, also you might try checking your air pressure
    in both casters !! good luck!