1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 777 vs 757 question??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hossmp, Jul 10, 2007.

1. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

This is for all of you guys that run deere or have researched them a great deal. I see they have the 757 with the 60 inch deck and then they have the 777 with the 60 inch deck. I know one is a "mid-size" machine and the latter a "large frame" machine. I looked at the specs and they are stating that they both weigh in at 1300 lbs. How can that be? What do you guys think that have the 777 is this machine heavier than say a Lazer Z or a Hustler Super Z and the 757 more comparable to the rest of the mid size machines? I think its a typo on the website that they both weight 1300 lbs. I like the idea of the mid size machine with the 60 inch deck it has alot of trimming room on the deck. Do you guys that have a 777 feel that its clumsy or does it feel like the rest of the large size machines. I wasnt sure if this was more like a Lazer XS or many of the other diesel sized machines.

2. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

I have both. The 777 is water cooled and definately heavier. I use the lighter 757 on my large res. properties and the heavier 777 on more wide open areas.

3. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I guess the website has an error when they are saying they both weight in at 1300 lbs. I figure that to be heavy for the 757 but not too heavy maybe even light for the 777. Do you guys figure the 777 to be comparable in size of frame to say the Exmark Lazer Z or the Hustler Super Z? or would the 757 be more comparable in terms of size and weight?

4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

My Exmark Lazer z with Triton and 66 and Kohler 30 is about 1350 I think. I think the only difference between 777 and 757 is horsepower and that may come from the same block size engine wich may not change the weight.

5. Grassman6

Grassman6 LawnSite Member

It's just another misprint on the Deere site. That weight is correct for the 777 "Max" frame. About 200 pounds less for the "Mid" frame on the 757. You can notice the difference when you ride both machines because the 757 has a little better trimming abilities with the smaller frame. However, the 777 rides a little better and with 2200hrs on the larger one I prefer the water cooled engine.

6. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Thanks, I thought the 757 seemed to be a bit high at 1300lbs for what they called a mid-sized frame. I do a great deal of business with John Deere for other parts of the family business. They have been wanting to see us a few of the zero turn riders. They where out at our place setting up a new tractor and offered a pretty good deal on a trade with an existing machine for either a 757 or the 777 both with 60 inch decks. The difference in price between the two only being 1200 dollars. I was wondering if you guys thought that the extra 1200 was worth it to have the 777 with 27 l.c. over the 757 with the 25 air cooled and smaller frame.

7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I shopped JD before buying the Exmark and thought the JD 757 with a 60 was a great machine. The cut is equal to the Exmark and it rides and drives nice. Iwent Exmark because I got a better deal but JD is a fantastic machine and growing in popularity all the time.

8. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I was wondering if those of you that have the 777 or have demo'ed the machine is this similar in size to say a Lazer Z with a 60 inch deck or any of the other full size machines such as the Hustler Super Z or Ferris IS3100? I was wondering if they have staggered sizing and they are truely larger than the mentioned machines and the 757 just a bit smaller.

9. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 737 and 757. I love both of them. The 25hp on the 757 should be plenty for you.

10. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Does anyone know if the 777 is more comparable in size to the Lazer Z and the Hustler Super Z, Ferris IS3100 size mower or is the John Deere 757 more comparable to this size machine? I am referring to overall size, not the deck size and the weight of the machine. It seems Deere has a misprint on the website they say both the 757 and 777 weigh in at 1300 lbs.