john deere 777

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Jun 23, 2006.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I am using a john deere 777 demo mower while my hustler super z gets a new pulley and belt. It seems like the hydo controls seem really stiff and that the engine is not only running 3/4 throttle. Any one else have information on the john deere models?

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats the way the hydralics are on the Deeres. I have a 757 right now that I am doing a 4 week demo on. I normally run toro ZTRs, where if you bump the sticks they spin around. It took me about a week to get used to the deere, but now I really like it, and it feels awkward to run the Toros now.

As far as the engine only running 3/4 throttle, I haven't noticed.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If either of you have stiff controls something is wrong. I have owned eXmark, Toro and JD and by FAR JD's controls are the best

4. Grassman6

Grassman6 LawnSite Member

How old is your 777 demo? After a couple of years or 500 hours (+/-) the control shocks (dampeners) need to be replaced. No lube points exist for the control handles but I spray dry film lube on all friction services along that long common tube under the seat frame...just move a handle slightly and stick a spray lube tube in all the cracks. Don't miss both ends of the two small arms that go straight back to the hydro pump.

As for the 3/4 throttle concern, I noticed that the 757 (air cooled) seems to sound faster than the Triple 7 water cooled....but performance is still good. What type of engine are you comparing the 777 engine speed to!

5. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

The hydro's on the Deere''s are allot stiffer than the Super Z's.

6. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

I went to a dealer who sells Gravely, John Deere, and Exmark. He said that the JD was less sensative as compared to the other two, and most everyone recommended them for homeowners. As a 757 owner, I would have to agree. I have driven the Gravely and Exmark and the JD is easier to control for me. The only complaint, is in reverse. It seems that I have to pull the controls quite a ways back to get movement. That may be normal.

7. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

Are the sticks stiff or is it truly the hydros. You can loosen the sticks a bit- I have had to do this on two new 757's this season.

I rode a friend's ztr this week and his controls were so sensitive that the machine was jerky. (Cub Cadet). Maybe it is whatever you are used to.

8. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

I would like to hear more about your Z's pulley & belt..I've lost two (2) spindle pulleys on my new Super Z. One on the right side and the center one. The pulley bolts appear to have come lose because I could never find them after the pulleys came off. Now checking the torque on the three spindle pulleys is part of my normal daily maintenance before going out. What happened in your situation?

9. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Thats just the way the deere's are. The controls are stiff. And as for the engine, mabey the demo units are idled down so people don't wreck them?

10. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

jcltyson,
    What year is your Super Z?