1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 777

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpmako, May 22, 2004.

1. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Just thought I would share some info on the machine.
    I took a John Deere 777 for a demo today, all that I can say is WOW! I was cutting some grass that was like 3 feet tall, the machine did not bog down at all.
    Overall I was very impressed with the machine. It looks like it is built like a tank. The dealer that I went to also sells hustler z's
    I looked at them side by side, and there is no comparison.
    The machine that I took had some of the dullest blades that I have ever seen, and despite that the machine still cut good.
    I believe that the salesman told me I could have it for around $7500.00, It seems like a good price. The bagging system is around $1200.00.
    Anybody have one of these? I would like to know about any problems that the machine has, if any?
  2. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have the 777, but I do have a 757. I love it. No complains...I won't go into detail but if you run a search on 757 you will find many posts.

$7500 sounds like a great price. That's how much I gave for my 757. 60" deck I assume, or 72? 27hp Liq Cooled?

Bagging system isn't all that great IMO though. Very similar to the bagging systems used on the homeowner tractors. It sucks grass and leaves up ok, I just don't think it is built tough enough. I only used my powerflow bagging system the end of last season and it is pretty beat up. Still works fine but I don't know how long it will hold up. Not bagging anything currently. I just figured for $1200 they could make it a little nicer than that. THe machine overall is great though. Bagger is only thing I can complain about.

Good luck
  3. Steeley

Steeley LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have a 737 and the mower is great, but Im not happy with the bagger mine is junk after one year, but I also cut over 1000 lawns with it. I dont think they are commercial grade they are just like the home owners.
  4. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

I am an exmark man myself,but if you like the machine go for it. I don't know alot about the machines commercially don't know of anyone in my area that uses them commercially it's mostly homeowners. I do know someone that has a 72'' and he has a big problem with scalping. But again if you like it go for it because the JD dealer in my area said that what he has in stock is all he can get because every thing JD can produce this year is spoken for. I don't know why but then again I'm an exmark man.
  5. BackAcreFarm

BackAcreFarm LawnSite Member

I bought a 777 earlier this year after several demo's. It has less than 30 hours, and no problems (as you'd expect for a new machine).
  6. BackAcreFarm

Price for a new 777 was $8200 - $8400 with 60 inch deck.

7. Heyman

Heyman LawnSite Member

I have a 757 and love it. The only problem I have with the powerflow is that it is made of hard plastic. It always wears out the chute on the bottom. Had to replace it 3 times in 5 years.
    But other wise I love it. I reccomend JD adding a piece of sheet metal to stop this problem from happening.

8. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

BackAcreFarm -- Hey neighbor. Is that the I-280 bridge in the background?
  9. BackAcreFarm

Good eye!
    I took the picture between the daily monsoons so it's a little hazy. You could see the Centennial bridge and downtown Davenport if it was clear.
  10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you'll be very happy with JD. I love my 757. Perfect cut and built like a tank.