John Deere 790

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by procut, Apr 26, 2007.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I know of one of these that is going to be put up for sale soon. Its a John Deere 790 w/ a JD 420 loader, 4X4 30hp diesel, 212 hours, vey good condition. Just out of curiosity, what would you say its worth? Anybody have one? Good/Bad? and what would be the approximate lift capacity of the loader? Thanks!!

2. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

For me its worth $9000. I can buy a new one for $12k. Ok for a gear-shift. Im not crazy about the shift between the legs. Id say 800 lbs for the loader. Not much of digger, butll be ok to load and move stuf around.

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 4310 which is basically the same only a hrdyostatic auto. I'd say that 790 is worth around $10K depending on the condition. You'll love it. I wish I had the stick shift sometimes, but I do a lot of field mowing. The cruise control on the hydro is a very nice option for me. Shifting between the legs is a little weird, but you get used to it fast.

4. procut

Ok, I figured about $10,000. I did think the shifter between the legs was a little differant. Thanks for the feedback!

You can a new one for only 12 grand?? that doesn't include the loader does it? This one is 2000 model year.

5. FearThisDeere

I think $12K for a new one would be a base model w/o a loader. When I was looking at tractors in '05 a 790 fully loaded was around $15K out the door if I remember correctly.

6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

last I remember a new 4wd w/ a loader was about 14-15. 10-12k for that used one is about right, anything resale green brings good money. My opinion on the tractor, well, I like em loaded up but if you want a no frills, tough little tractor, thats a great choice. Proven design, very little to go wrong. It'll still be worth 8-10 5 years from now. Resale on tractors is a heck of a lot stronger than a vehicle. Good luck!

7. procut

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I think it would make a good little unit, but I'm afraid it may be a little too small for the type of work I would be doing with it.

I would do new lawn installs so, running a harley/power rake, york/landscape rake. Pulling out old shrubs with the loader, moving stone/mulch and brush hogging/field mowing. Do you think I would regret not getting something a little bigger than a 30hp? Not to mention the loader doesn't look real ballsy.

8. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

12k with loader. 20 hr demo with full warranty. I went with the 4310 for $4200 more. This was December of 2004.

9. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

Btw that was when I was tight with that dealer. We are currently in a little spat (his shitty service). Fear this Deere is right that 4310 is a tough machine. Mine moved, spread, raked, and seeded 110,000lbs of topsoil in the last 2 days.

10. FearThisDeere

procut: I think you would be OK with the 790, but you can obly run implements up to about 5 feet. It should do all you need. Now, something like the 4310 or a little bigger may suit your needs better, but it will cost a bit more.