John Deere 797 2005

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Choppin, May 1, 2013.

1. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

Rebuilt 797 72 inch cut 2005 model. Everything but the pumps rebuilt even the engine... Guy is asking $7000.00 is this a good price or is it high... Is this a good model? 29 hp liquid cooled kawasaki...
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Sounds like he's trying to recoup his rebuild costs and stlill make money for the machine itself. That's sounds too high to me for a machine that is at least 6 seasons old and probably more than that. Also, if it's an earlier one, it'll have the first edition 7 Iron deck. They are good decks, but they have a much lower BTS than the 7 Iron II or Pro decks out now.

3. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

A lawn mower mechanic has it... It has been sitting for 2 years now since rebuild... If I could get if for a good price... Would it cut a a decent speed and be productive?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I never got to run one, but I've seen a few guys around here run them and they cut as fast as I'd ever care to go on the turf around here. I never mow at full sticks anyway. Either too rough, or not enough room to really make use of FS. Anyway, they always seemed to leave a great cut when I'd go over to look at it, but I know for sure they were running the later 7 Iron II decks on them and they have the faster BTS's.

5. CurbAppealKS

CurbAppealKS LawnSite Senior Member

Great machines. I used to run that exact machine. The motor does pretty well even with the 72". The deck cuts amazing, I always brag on this machine. If you could get it for less than that I would say go ahead.
    Posted via Mobile Device