John deere 7h17

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drivefaster35, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Has anybody had any experience with the new JD walk behinds I'm considering purchasing atleast one this year and would like to know what you think about them. I've never had much experience with the pistol grips and am worried about the stress it might put on hands and forearms, how they stripe, power, and the list goes on any advice would be great :usflag:
  2. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed one when they first came out, back in like 2004 I think. I'm not a huge fan of the pistol grips, but the new hydro models are much easier on the hands than either of my old gear drive pistol grip deere's. The stripe is incredible, I dunno if the w/b's have the 7 Iron or 7 Iron II decks, either way, they are both great decks. From what I remember, the control height is adjustable, kinda nice if you got short guys like me and taller guys that run the same machine. The only thing I didn't like about it when I demoed it was the length. I'm pretty sure they are longer than the older stlye deere w/b's, so they take up a little more room on the trailer. Good luck with your decision.