John Deere 7iron Compared To 7iron11

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by palmetto 1, Jul 17, 2008.

1. palmetto 1

palmetto 1 LawnSite Member

Is the 7iron deck just as good the 7iron11 deck what is the difference between them.

2. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

you might want to check JD's website. They usually have a virtual diagram of the deck that you can move around. I own the 7 Iron II deck but i've never owned the first one.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

4. duke & sons

duke & sons LawnSite Member

The biggest difference between the two is the blade speed. In 2005, the 7IronII came out with a blade tip speed of 18,000. The 7Iron has blade speed of 16,500. I run a 2004 737 (7Iron) that I discharge with. It cuts bahia grass exellent. My exmark is terrible on bahia but exellent on St. Augustine and Centipede.

5. duke & sons

duke & sons LawnSite Member

I'm sorry, the 7IronII came out in 2006.

6. KCfireman

who cares when it came out!!!!!!:laugh: Its the best damn deck every made in this industry!!!

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, it's a shame they don't have anything worth hanging them on anymore (800 series in general).

8. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, now that is the truth!!!! That's why my new toro is getting the job done!!!!!!!!!!:weightlifter:

9. KCfireman

i know what you mean. I've only owned quik traks but i heard that their 700 series was superb.

10. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

I have both 7 iron 1 & 2, they both work great. As was said before main difference is blades tip speed, the 2 on small lawns is actually a little to much for my liking, it will through grass three passes +. Both cut fine.