John Deere 850 burning grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLCS, May 14, 2008.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Any 850a owners notice burnt grass under the muffler? I stopped my machine for about 30 seconds on a couple lawns last week. Well, when I returned this week to those lawns I found burnt grass where the machine sat. The muffler is too low to the ground, I can't wait for leaf season, I will be setting entire lawns on fire. Deere will here about this before the end of the week. Dealer said they have had the same problem on the x540 tractor for a couple of years and no fix yet.

2. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Yup, my 850's do this. FWIW, my Hustlers did the same thing.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Have you contacted Deere about this or is it something you can live with? My biggest worry is leaf season.

4. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Haven't contacted anyone yet...haven't had time to think...working 13 hours every day. I guess our Hustlers never gave us trouble during leaf season, but these mowers are burning the grass when it's cool out, not sure what they will do when we get to the 80's next week. Other than that, the 850s have been bulletproof. We just got the suspension seats put on and they are AWESOME. Much better than the Michigan style seat. We also added the striping kits and engine guard to the back. Also when we put the suspension seat on we also installed the supplied lever extensions and that made the stiff steering much better.

5. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

FWIW Hustler offers a heat shield at no xtra cost for customers experiencing turf damaging from brief idling... Same goes for the vulnerable Clutch/Crank location they make a very heavy guard for that...

6. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

FWIW Hustler offers a heat shield at no xtra cost for customers experiencing turf damage from brief idling... Same goes for the vulnerable Clutch/Crank location, they make a very heavy guard for that...