1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

John deere 925a leaving clumps when mulchig

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B-2 Lawncare, Jul 17, 2012.

1. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

So we have had this thing about two weeks and I must say that the clumps that it leaves when we turn and mulch are driving me crazy. We have G6 on and they are sharp, any suggestions. The sales guy said to leave the mulch on demand half open?

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Oem mulch blades are a lot better. I took off 4" today and mowed at 3 1/2. Mulched the whole place. It looked bagged. Mine is a 950 60" mod.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

G-6's are high lift blades. There is way to much turbulence and lift under the deck with them. You need mulching blades to do true mulching.

4. B-2 Lawncare

So you took half an inch off, or you mowed grass that was like 6" long.

5. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Grass was 7 1/2 to 8" tall before mowing. I know of I cut less than that I get a trail and clumps when I turn. Nothing beats a true mulch kit, but its better than just a block off plate of you know what it can and can't do
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

You need to get the OEM mulching blades for that machine, high lift blades like the G6's will not work well for mulching. The 925 with MOD deck can/will mulch well but it needs to have mulching blades on there to do it. Also, if you are cutting wet grass and mulching, you may find you still get some clumps...works better with dryer grass or just damp grass (not wet from recent rain or irrigating).

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I have the same machine as Jim does (Z950/60" MOD), and I agree with those that say leave the G6's off. They chop the clippings too fine, which then tend to clump if wet from rain, irrigation, or in the spring when grass is moist and lush.
    I have the OEM wavy mulching blades as well, and they are a far better blade for use if you use both side discharge and mulch modes with the MOD.

As dry as this year has been, they also give much less blowout/dust to have to deal with.

8. B-2 Lawncare

We have had such good luck with the G-6 on our other mowers, I am going to put the O.M.E. back on and see what happens. Thanks for the pointers guys.

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The G6's are awesome under a std 7 Iron Pro deck, but they are not worth much under the MOD unless you discharge only. The OEM highlifts that come with the deck are great for discharging (and better at it than the G6's with the MOD deck), but the OEM wavy mulching blades are a far cry better for use with the deck closed, and cut very well when discharging.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Oregon, the makers of G6 blades, does not recommend them for mulching.