1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 930M

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by frameslawn, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Actually, they are a medium lift blade. They work excellent for both side discharging and mulching with the MOD deck as long as you aren't taking more than 4" off while side discharging (I've taken off up top 6" with mine, but you can start seeing some small clumps with anything over 4"). I sharpen mine with a file or angle grinder, but the Magna-Matic sharpener can do wavy blades as can one or two versions of the Oregon sharpener.
  2. inHaliburton

inHaliburton LawnSite Member

Thanks for that, Ridin' Green. It's appreciated.
  3. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

G6's are awesome for thick grass on bi-weeklys and for yards that have a lot of sticks that you just cannot spend the time to pick up, they won't lift them and chop them like the hi-lifts.

I find that have a hard time cutting crab grass that's tall and stress in hot weather when it is really tough because of the loss of lift though.
  4. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

That's the ones I hate the most. The bi-weeklies that grow to 6-7" in two weeks and stress as soon as you put a blade on them. :weightlifter:
  5. inHaliburton

Bi-weeklie definition:
    Homeowner cuts lawn weekly.
    Becomes bi-weekly when homeowner has to pay.
  6. inHaliburton

Have had customers that were cut weekly. Customer switches to bi-weekly and expects same rate. How about you?
  7. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Well went and pulled the trigger.. I switched a few years ago from Deere to Ferris and will now be going back to Deere. Pic was to big to upload. Got the 930m with 60" mod
  8. inHaliburton

What do you like better about the JD machine?
  9. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

The Deere's cut better then the Ferris mowers however the Ferris due to its suspension does ride a bit smoother. The mulch on demand is nice the few times that I have used it as well. And best thing the Deere doe not have a Kohler engine..
  10. inHaliburton

I find the suspension seat much better than the stock seat on rough terrain.

As for mulching, to me it's useless. The only place I see where it's dropping the cuttings is where the exit chute is. I had a JD with a mulching deck and the two are not the same.

Where the MOD deck save me time is its ability to transport clippings to an area where you can dump them. Also makes and effective trimming edge with the chute closed. Saves having to turn around.

For those two reasons only, I'm glad I paid the extra $1k for the MOD deck.

Am using the wavy mulching blades now. They do a good job on long grass due to the long cutting edge.

They do cut the clipping into smaller lengths, but the grass comes out in clumps or stays up above the blades pressed to the underside of the deck. Again, a lousy mulching deck.

If mulching is important, don't buy the MOD deck.