1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 930M

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by frameslawn, Mar 6, 2014.

1. benelli_t

benelli_t LawnSite Member

Thank you for taking the time to get those quotes. Prices seem to be $500 - $700 cheaper in Louisiana with suspension seats added. All prices I have mentioned are cash without tax.

Yes, first thing I noticed today when I looked over the deck. Seems really easy to replace the belt. I amagine it would be a pain to take the drive shaft of off the Kubota.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

You're quite welcome. Glad to help.

Deere machines seem to be a lot less money down south going by the many posts that show that here on LS.

Kubota makes some nice machines, but I'd be hard pressed to take one over a Deere due mainly to the 7 Iron deck and the resale value, which tends to be better with Deere. My only complaint with my Z950 is that I wish I had bought the std Pro deck instead of the MOD deck. The MOD is handy for certain times, but the std deck cuts a better IME, especially in taller grass.

3. benelli_t

Kubota makes some nice machines, but I'd be hard pressed to take one over a Deere due mainly to the 7 Iron deck and the resale value, which tends to be better with Deere. My only complaint with my Z950 is that I wish I had bought the std Pro deck instead of the MOD deck. The MOD is handy for certain times, but the std deck cuts a better IME, especially in taller grass.[/QUOTE]

Since you mention taller grass, one thing I am worried about is the JD has a 25hp compared to the Kubota with a 27hp. Do you have any experience with this mower in tall grass? Does it have enough juice to power through?

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I guess it will depend on how tall you are talking about, but the 930 has 25.5, which is only 1.5 less than the Kubby. I have the 950 which is a true 27. I have used it to cut down very thick, tall field rye mixed with clover and a bunch of other stemmy crap. The rye was groin high, with 1/4" thick stems. I had to go slow obviously, but even with my more tightly baffled MOD deck, I was able to cut it down in one pass without trouble. Of course I had to go over it a couple extra passes to get rid of the clippings, but the engine handled it fine. Unless you are going to try to cut very thick turf grass down from say 10" or 12"" to 3" or less in one pass at high speed, you won't have any trouble with either machine. The 7 Iron is as good a deck as you can buy for all types of grass.

5. frameslawn

frameslawn LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Benelli_T, they are now also offering a Z950M with the 27HP Fx850 for approx. $400.00 more.

6. frameslawn

from Indiana

As far as prices are concerned, I am a member of Green Fleet so that automatically takes $500 off per unit, and they next unit I purchase would be $650 off due to being the 5 unit purchased within two years. I paid $8600 with the suspension seat before the Green Fleet discount, and they gave me a better deal since I was purchasing more than one unit along with about $1500.00 of Stihl equipment the same day :)

7. benelli_t

Did not know this...going to look into it. Thanks!

That is a smoking price before your discount :clapping:

8. frameslawn

from Indiana

Just picked up my pair of Z930M today and so far I'm impressed. I will post picture ASAP

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Looking forwards to them.:)

10. jeffb007

jeffb007 LawnSite Member

Is there a suspension insert made that will fit under the standard 930m seat?
    I spent over an hour today at my john deere dealer jumping from one 930m to the other 930m.one had full suspension seat the other just the mid grade seat with NO suspension.I just never could get comfortable on the Full suspension seat.The back of the suspension seat is hard as a rock I played with the lumbar adjustment for 20 minutes and I just never could get comfortable with the full suspension seat.:cry:The mid grade seat is much softer and is a little taller in the back.Im going to get that seat and just add my own suspension insert under it if they even make one.I`ll say this! Ive demoed eXmark lazer z,gravely proturn 452,Ferris is2100 and is3100 and even the new Kubota z700 without suspension and IMO the john deere full suspension is the most uncomfortable by a mile.I love the z900`s and that's what im getting next weekend but come on JD you could of done much better with that horrible suspension seat.Foam is just way to hard IMO + the armrest only moves up or down about 1 inch, where the standard has about 3 inches of adjustment up or down.