John Deere 930M

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by frameslawn, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I have no experience with the isolator kit other than looking at them, but the suspension insert kit will raise the seat height by approx 2.5". I can tell a difference in COG on sidehills as far as holding a hill goes, but it isn't enough to cause any concern.

2. Growin' & Mowin'

Growin' & Mowin' LawnSite Member

I personally like the slight rise in seat height on my 997. More comfortable ride for back and legs are at a more comfortable height. Doesn't feel like I'm sitting in a hole. I can also see the drive tires easier which I like. I'm 5'11" and I didn't use or like the control handle height spacers or whatever their called. My whole property is a hill with some steeper then others and I didn't notice any difference on COG. Granted the 997 is a heavy machine.

3. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I like the slightly higher ride height too. Far more than enough to offset the difference in feel, which is very minor, but something I can feel.

You may not get the feeling that you are more tippy/top heavy, but if you get going across a hill at any speed and hit a bump, especially if it is slightly damp, you may notice a slight inclination to crab/slide/drift downhill when hitting bumps from the higher COG now on the lean, which shifts your weight to the downhill side a little more.

4. jeffb007

jeffb007 LawnSite Member

Which 7 iron deck cuts the best 54 0r 60? I know the discharge chute on the 60 is a lot wider than the 54 if my memory is correct almost 5 inches different.Anyone use both sizes?

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Most guys with 54's say they cut great, but I have read more than once the 48" is not quite a s good. The 60" does really well, and if I had to cut a lot of tall or wet grass, I wouldn't look twice at the 54".

You are right about the chute openings. It is a lot larger on the 60". I just pointed that out to a salesman at a JD dealership a few weeks ago. He didn't seem to be aware of that until I showed him.

6. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at going back to Deere with the 930m with a 60" mod deck any feedback on this? Currently we are using Ferris mowers

7. GONO2

GONO2 LawnSite Member

Love my new 930M with the 60" regular PRO deck. I didn't need the MOD deck. Also, good luck with the suspension addition. I went to several dealers and they all told me it would not work with the 930M seat. No one could tell me exactly why though. I ended up getting the full suspension seat and I really like it.

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

That's why they tell you that. To sell the full seat. The insert kit will work with the stock seat, but not on a machine that comes with the factory suspension seat since the pan is different.

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

IMO, you are a lot better off with the std deck. I have a MOD deck and greatly prefer the std Pro deck. Mostly though, it depends on your circumstances/properties.

10. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback