john deere 997 has no power?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dmaxwayne, Aug 19, 2014.

1. dmaxwayne

dmaxwayne LawnSite Member

I purchas ed a 2006 john deere 997 diesel mower with a 6 foot cut. It originally would not start I jumped the cylinoid on the injection pump and it started after jumping the cylinoid a couple of times it started to work From then on it soon so that problem seems to be fixed. The problem I have now is that it doesn't seem to have any power when I engaged the deck. The fuel filters have all been changeD about 10 hours ago from the previous owner a municapality The only thing I'm not sure of is the water fuel separator looked like it had never been touched when I sprayed the mower off for the first time time. From what I read on here I was expecting this mower to have great power and speed when cutting the grass however it bogs down in 5 inches of grass where my 757 with a 60 inch 25 hp kawasaki would have to went through 7 inches of grass without slowing down. The diesel doesn't have any black smoke at all and the air filter looks new as well the motor was supposedly rebuild 300 hours ago and I did check the valve adjustment which was fine also. What should I be looking for power wise problems?

2. ilike2mow

ilike2mow LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the injectors plugged up or something?

3. teckjohn

teckjohn LawnSite Senior Member

change fuel filter yourself don't take the word of anyone else. On a diesel the fuel filter is the easiest fix before you buy all the high dollar parts!

4. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

I have a 1445 with I believe the same engine as yours. diesels don't seem to have the same oomph as a gasser engine. when I had my z950a I could cut taller thicker grass with it. don't use doubles. it will rob any remaining horse power

5. ilike2mow

ilike2mow LawnSite Bronze Member

Good advice there. Don't trust what anyone else says they did because they aren't always telling you what they really did.

6. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah i hope he didnt mean it needed to be rebuilt 300 hours ago... i guaranty if someone spent 3500 to 5500 to rebuild a diesel properly they wouldnt be selling it right after rebuild it wouldnt make any sense.. my bet they went cheap on rebuild and then it wouldnt run properly afterwards... i have a customer with a cat diesel had the head crack. The head alone from cat was 2800 plus parts then labor was gonna be around 4500 for the job (another shop quoted him 6200). The local school mechanic "fixed" it for 1200. When a school bus cracks head he puts a sealer in the motor to seal up crack and it goes for a little bit. He doesbt understand the mower engine runs at much higher rpms for hours at a time, he threw 1200 away and it runs like crap now... i couldve done that for $100 max.....lol. hate to scare you but we have seen many diesel rebuilds the last couple of years and i have never seen one done under 3k.... properly
    Posted via Mobile Device it could be an injector, fueling issue like on a new gravely the other day they had rust in the tank, or fuel or injector pump.....

7. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

Where does it say the schools mechanic fixed for $1200?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. dmaxwayne

=J ims lawncareservice;5096632]Where does it say the schools mechanic fixed for $1200?
    Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]
    I just cleaned out the water separator today and mowed the grass with it but it doesn't Seem to have full power it will bog down in tall grass about six inches tall surely this is not normal normal.. I was wondering if when free revving the engine in the garage if it should blow any black smoke out the exhaust pipe doing a snap test so to speak with no pto engaged or anything. I cannot make this thing put out any smoke what so ever even when it bogs down in tall grass and i push it even harder no smoke at alll? Could something still be messed up with the fuel solenoid to where it's not giving full fuel to the engine but just pulling in enough to let it start and run?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

I just cleaned out the water separator today and mowed the grass with it but it doesn't Seem to have full power it will bog down in tall grass about six inches tall surely this is not normal normal.. I was wondering if when free revving the engine in the garage if it should blow any black smoke out the exhaust pipe doing a snap test so to speak with no pto engaged or anything. I cannot make this thing put out any smoke what so ever even when it bogs down in tall grass and i push it even harder no smoke at alll? Could something still be messed up with the fuel solenoid to where it's not giving full fuel to the engine but just pulling in enough to let it start and run?
    Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

The first thing I would have dome is taken it to my Deere dealer. I am not real engine savvy. But not all dealers are created equally. Mine knows his stuff
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. dmaxwayne

does anyone have one of these 997 diesels? If they do do the engine smoke black smoke at all or ever in tall grass or free reving in the garage with a heavy load on it?