john deere 997 has no power?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dmaxwayne, Aug 19, 2014.

1. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You did put gas in it, didn't you?
    Tell me you did, please say yes.

2. ilike2mow

ilike2mow LawnSite Bronze Member

*diesel
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. dmaxwayne

dmaxwayne LawnSite Member

Why would i put gas in it? I just wanted to know if anyone has one of these 997 DIESELS and weather or not they are dogs in thick grass or going up hills if they loose power and if someone who owns one could tell me if it smokes at all when it get a load on the engine while cutting the grass.

4. LawnCareNoobie

LawnCareNoobie LawnSite Senior Member

Something isn't right. Those should have plenty enough power to go through anything you throw at it. That's a 31 hp Yanmar...You should have someone who knows what they are doing look through it thoroughly. I've never ran one personally, but I know enough that this machine isn't a dog...it's a beast.

For example..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txRazdbcjcc

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Does it bog with the PTO disengaged? If it doesn't it may be with your belt/pulley system.

Smoke on startup and under heavy load is normal to a degree, if it is constant I would have it checked by dealer/mechanic.

I've personally mowed grass over 3' tall without missing a beat, something isn't right with the machine, I'd figure out the problem before you potentially cause more damage.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. teckjohn

teckjohn LawnSite Senior Member

u change fuel filter again?

7. dmaxwayne

dmaxwayne LawnSite Member

Yes the filters and water seperator have been changed.

8. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

OP I can answer your questions. With a dirty air filter it might smoke under load. Heavy load up hill won't make a good running 997 smoke. They are big and durable and stable and dogs in taller grass. Period. Yours sounds just like my own experience. I'm a diesel fan and a Deere fan but not everything green or diesel is the greatest thing since my first solo poop on the potty. The 997 is an old dog and I think it is out performed by many smaller gassers of many brands. The durability is there with the 997. It will do what it is doin today for years to come and it will go and go and go. It has it's limits tho.

9. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

Black smoke means to much fuel / white smoke means burning oil. Could be clogged filter as said above. A bad glow plug causing low power and raw fuel being dumped into the exhaust. Most likely a bad fuel pump being that you already had a issue with it from the start.

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Get a photo tach and make sure the RPMs are correct on the motor. Check the drive belt tension for any slippage.
    Posted via Mobile Device