John Deere 997 or 960r

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by nashlawn01, Mar 25, 2013.

1. nashlawn01

nashlawn01 LawnSite Senior Member

Which to buy? If it ever quits snowing I'm going to get my new mower but don't know which to get. A 997 31hp yanmar diesel 72" deck or 960r 31hp gas 60" deck. I really like the diesel both and the comfort and convience package and the 960 has the mod deck. The diesel is big and heavy but it will sip fuel. The gas is lighter with the mod deck but probably be burning 1.5 gph in fuel. Which would you buy I have some big properties and some small ones. But I have a 52" a 60" and a 52" walk behind

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I'd get a 997 either way, but if I did, and already had the width decks you do, I'd get nothing but a 72".
    I have ran the 960 with the 60" MOD for a while and it does all anyone could ask, but I reaally like diesels, both for power, and because of how easy they are on fuel.

That 960 should do that well (1.5 gph) on fuel in mid summer grass, but expect more like 2 gph in the springtime growth rush.

I have a Z950 with the 60" MOD and it does a little better. It is plenty of machine/engine for any mowing short of bushhog type cutting.

3. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the 960, and have your dealer send his 997 to me!

4. nashlawn01

nashlawn01 LawnSite Senior Member

It's on the way apples!!! Lol I think I'm going diesel

5. Southern Lawn Care  LLC

Southern Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I have a 997 I run only on my farm and let me say that thing sips the fuel. Keep good treatments in it or either spare fuel filters like any diesel and your set men. No trouble out of mine what so ever. I run a 920M for my business. Nothing I do is worth hauling the 997 around for unless I have a large field but even then sometimes isn't worth the haul. I can cut 11 acres in roughly 4 hours. All flat and smooth mostly.

6. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

That's a good choice nash!

7. mo11in5

mo11in5 LawnSite Member

the 997 is an awesome machine, once you get you get used to the size of it you'll love it, never run out of power and itll mow through just about anything even in the pouring rain, i love the one we have where i mow