1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 997 Owners?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

just wandering if or how many people here have bought the new John Deere 997 model ZTR....

Any problems?

mine is overheating every 1.5 hours due to the rear screen sucking up dust and clogging it, it clogs within 10 mins, even on turf. worse on dusty jobs.
    Also, I am using the rear discharge deck on mine, so it is sucking air from the dustiest area...behind the mower.

These are very new here, I'm one of the, if not the 1st buyer apparently, so there isn't a lot of solutions actioned here, well none actually lol.

What has this company done in the USA to prevent the rear screen blocking and choking the cooling system?

(it isn't practical to stop every 10 mins and clean the screen)
  2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I am a JD fan from my toes to my head, BUT the biggest problem they have is the stupid cooling system. All the way from the 400 series garden tractors to the ztr. They do not allow or put a big enough radiator for the diesel in any of their units. It all started with the 332 when they put a 16 hp yanmar in a 318 frame - did not have enough room for an adequate radiator, and it seems they want to put in inadequate radiators even today - Love my 495 - 595 - but what I do is add and extra radiator on the side with its own electric fan. I mow for 8-10 hrs. - no clean radiators - would be glad to post a pic if anyone wants to see it.
  3. Tonyr

Thanks mate, I would love to see a pic!

not sure where or how to install it on this machine, but I may get ideas after seeing your set up.
  4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

You had to spend a lot on that thing! At least it can work right.
  5. Tonyr

exactly, very close to $30.000 aussie dollars....I thought spending this much with a company that I hear such great things about was a pretty safe investment.....seems this company is no better than the rest, mass produce units and fix em up later when the repair demands get high enough...

I haven't held back since I bought this, from deck issues that deere won't help me with to over heating, to the rear design having the breathing screen at the rear sucking dust against it clogging it 100%....very dumb idea, no thought went into this at all....and what makes it worse it is a rear discharge deck model....guess where it is dustiest lol. Yup, where the radiator fan sucks from!

I'm paying lease payments on a machine not properly set up to mow without choking every 1.5 hours....

I'm going through a stressy time with this mower, unbelievable! :angry:
  6. Tonyr

I can't stop thinking that this company sells so much because they spend so much design on cosmetics, not performance and durability.

Yes, I know most love their Deere's....and I'm sure they make fine machines, usually.

Maybe they are more interested in making pretty mowers, show ponies...not true work horses....

Wish I never bought the thing, deere has not helped me with any of my questions, this ain't the way I thought it would work switching from Toro to J.D.....knowing what I know now, and how deere simply aren't interested in direct communication with me, I wish I kept my toro.....switching companies did not gain me anything but stress.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Hey Tony...Ever hear the saying "nothin stinks like a John" :D
  8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

And nothing buck's like a john's deere lol
  9. Tonyr

:D :D :D :D :D :D

ha ha ha, you blokes are so funny LOL!

Well, in that case I'll add, 'this deer is definetly a bucker!' lol.

The buckin' deer! lol.

you can shoot these buckin' thangs in your country can't ya?? :D

While John's deer is buckin' him, mine sure is buckin' me lol lol lol :cool2:
  10. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

I know you all will knock deere but theres been several generations of my family and several generations of my friends families that have run deeres

Give thme a couple of years, anyone remember when they first came out with the M series ZTR? dont remember hearing good things about them when i was working at the dealer then they released the 700 series and ive heard plenty of good things about them

honestly they should have stuck to what they know and thats regular lawn and garden tractors, farm, and construction equipment

that being said if someone offered me a deere ztr id take it in a heart beat