1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 997 thre wheeler.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DLCS, May 9, 2009.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

:hammerhead: I was mowing with my 997 yesterday and all of a sudden I lost a rear wheel. Two of the lug bolts sheared off and the other two were pulled out of the hub. Dealer said they were loose, I have never removed the tires. Anyway, dealer is really backed up so I elected to install the new hub. But my problem is I can't remove the $^&*#@* hub. I've tried using a gear puller but it will not move. How do you guys get the hub off of the shaft? I really don't want to put heat on it, I thought this would be a easy job.:cry:

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. DLCS

I think our local Farm and Fleet has one similiar, I'll give it a try. Thanks

4. DLCS

Got it fixed, thanks for the help.

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

glad to see you got it fixed. It's becoming easier to fix things ourself. I have always opted to takle my own ZTR problems, only thing that has screwed me up is those "dealer" tools required for jobs.

6. DLCS

Yeah, if i had the right puller from the start it would have been a 30 minute job. My dealer said he could get it fixed on tuesday but i wanted it done now. LOL He ordered the parts on Friday afternoon and they were here Saturday at 8:00am, so i thought that i would try it myself. The dealer lets me do my own warranty work if they are real busy, i just give him the old parts when i'm done. Sometimes its more convenient to do the work youself and you always learn something in the end. The really technical stuff, i would just let them do it. But this seemed pretty easy.