1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

john deere at lowes or home depot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bone1, Mar 13, 2008.

1. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

guys, the john deere ztr z225 the one they sell at lowes for $3000. do you all think it will last a season or two. or is it just for homeowners. would it be worth it? thanks for any advice!
  2. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

Depends on how many lawns you are doing?
  3. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge LawnSite Member

Maybe for a season, it is a residential mower...when i started my business i bought a toro time-cutter w/a 50"deck and after a month i had major problems, i would go ahead and invest in a commercial mower if you can afford it, it will more than pay for itself thoughout the life of it.
  4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

you can spend $3000 for 1 year or you can spend $5000 and get something like a lazer hp 48" and it will last you many years. you sure don't want to have reliability problems when starting out.
  5. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

putting money towards a better machine is definitely worth it, especially for resale value alone...if you are going to use it commercially definitely stay away from places like lowes or home depot, they are the low end of the toro or john deere line of mowers, basically saying they are home-owner machines...think of it as ya, they have the name toro or john deere on them, but they aren't actually a genuine toro or john deere, the only reason these places sell them is because home owners look at them and go "wow, they sell toro and john deere here," this is why they are much cheaper there...you will honestly save yourself a lot of time and stress spending a little more...
  6. dgZtrak737

dgZtrak737 LawnSite Member

If your going into this business. You would be wise to build a relationship with a local dealer. Lowes, and Home Depot ARE NOT going to take care of you if you have a breakdown. STAY AWAY from Lowes and Home Depot. As far as the mower goes. I would go ahead and get a commercial mower if your budget allows. You might check into a used commercial mower.
  7. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

my dad got a john deere trimmer at home depot several years ago because "it was john deere". i had to get some parts for it a while back and the JD dealer told me it was made by HOMELITE. lol
  8. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

that is my point exactly! ******* homelite! you can't buy more of a pos...although i will say homelite did make all of the small engines like blowers and weadeaters for john deere years ago, even at the dealer...
  9. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

+1 on building a relationship with your local dealer. It will pay off in the long run...
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You can't compare these machines at the big box stores by trying to measure them by hours - i.e. 1 or 2 seasons of hours out of them. It is like taking a homeowner chainsaw, and thinking that if it has x amount of hours of life, they can be used up in one season. as soon as you run this saw for 2 to 3 hours straight,....you'll know what i mean - as the clutch will be smoking, and will lock up. Well,...you can pretty much tell the same thing about these mowers. While they may have x amount of hours on them (let's say a 10 year mower at 40 cuts a year for an hour and a half on Saturdays....This gives us 600 hours). Well, take this same machine and run it for 8 hrs. a day for 4-5 days a week. you will see things breaking and burning up that you would never have even thought to give consideration to. These hydro motors and pumps are NOT built to run for longer periods of time. This is just one small example of something that can and DOES go on these machines.