1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere Banner

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by out4now, Jan 22, 2006.

1. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

It only shows as a hyperlink in Firefox 1.5. Not sure why exactly. Just thought I'd mention it.
  2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, You are rite looks like they are new sponsors? maybe?
  3. out4now

from AZ

Well they had polled a few months ago about Deere becoming a sponsor and it looks as if they have but in my Opera browser it shows an actual button to click and I just thought I'd mention that in Firefox it only shows a text link. Might be some sort of compatibility issue. Just thought I'd bring it to the moderators attention. I quit surfing with IE for the most part. Got a few trojans that came through so that was the end of that. By this time next year I hope to be 100% Linux. Almost there now but building a 3rd box for the next distro release.
  4. LSAdmin

LSAdmin Web Developer Staff Member

The John Deere ads (button and banner) are hosted on the DoubleClick servers instead of ours, per their request. Since DoubleClick is a leading provider of ad content, it is likely that you have an ad blocker or firewall that blocks anything coming from their servers.

You should check your settings to make sure that content from DoubleClick is allowed on your computer if you want to see the John Deere ads.
  5. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a really nice way of putting it...:) :)
  6. out4now

from AZ

Yep. When I right click fo rshow picture it works so that's the problem. There are other ads on other sites like Yahoo and so forth that are not showing yet either. With each relaease candidate they have to adapt. In a way it actaully helped I think for Deere because it didn't display right leaving sort of a hole at top that I wasn't used to and that was what drew my eye to it otherwise I may not have noticed for a long time.
  7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I'd rather not be able to see the banner. Doubleclick has so much spyware associated with it.
  8. out4now

from AZ

Yep but doesn't matter if you run Linux. Only affects Windows machines.
  9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Aha! For some time I was wondering what happened to the John Deere banner, but it never occurred to me that it’s hyperlink was connected to a source of spyware until I looked at the properties of the banner, and then I noticed the link: http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N2335.rydium/B1748313;sz=90x30. I knew right off that my anti-spyware software was blocking this.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Come no now, don’t encourage people to give up security in order to go to this link, per John Deeres request. If people want to read about John Deere tell them to go to http://www.deere.com/en_US/deerecom/usa_canada.html.

DoubleClick is a source that has used tracking cookies - and probably still does. So... if you want big brother knowing your every move, just click away. But, hopefully Lawnsite will not take a wrong turn and lead people down a road filled with security risks.
  10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Just to add a bit more to this, here is a section taken from a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission.

“In truth and in fact, DoubleClick intends to combine data it has consistently described as "non-personally-identifiable information" with users' names, addresses, retail, catalog and online purchase histories, and other personally-identifiable information contained in the Abacus database. Therefore, DoubleClick's representations concerning the anonymity of information it collected and collects about Internet users were, and are, deceptive practices.”

And a further note, somewhat directed to Plsoucy, the report also touches upon something that may have some bearing upon Lawnsite. It mentions that third-party web sites that generate tracking cookies need to inform their users, most likely within a privacy statement, that their anonymity cannot be assured. Sort of as I mentioned in the previous post, this could be a bad road for everyone to go down. If you do, better cover you bases.

Those interested in this complaint may find it at: http://www.epic.org/privacy/internet/ftc/DCLK_complaint.pdf