1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

john deere buys scag out!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Jan 22, 2001.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

i read today that j.d. bought scag,i wonder what the future holds for other co.also in my area n.e.ohio,most landscapers use scags,then walkers,then maybe exmarks,why is everybody so in love with these machines,please sell me on them.
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Which manufacturer do you currently use???

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

JD bought out Great Dane. Did they buy Scag too?
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

At the rate these companies are buying each other out, they'll only be one left at the end of the year.
  5. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

i use scags as do about 90% of the co. around here thats why i was wondering why everbody loves exmark,whats the major difference besides price? yes scag was bought to dane scag is now working for j.d.
  6. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

Long Live HONDAS !!
  7. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Where did you read this? Can you post a link to it if it is online? This is the first I have heard of this.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

John Deere did <i><b>not</i></b> buy Scag mowers. John Deere bought out Scag's (Dane Scag that is) latest venture, Great Dane mowers for 23 million dollars. The confusion may be a result of the tendacy for some people to call Scag mowers "Scags". An article in Lawn & Landscape said "By acquiring Scag's $23 million mower company...".
  9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Dane Scag hasnt been involved in Scag mowers for years. Well, since 96 when he started Dane Co.

Around here co's buy a fleet of Scags then replace them with something else after the decks crack and the lousy local scag dealer service turns em off.
  10. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

If history is a good guide then Dane Scag will start new a mower company shortly.