John Deere commercial walk behind mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shuter, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Any company have any experience with John Deere?? Looking for good and bad news.

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the Dears around here you see are on the side of the road dead. never seen an Exmark on the side of the road.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

JD is quite popular in my area. I'd say they are second behind gravley in popularity.

the number of dealers and dealer reputations may be largely responsible for their numbers.

I have run JD's for a short while and I didn't like them. at all. at least the ones that I used.

three things I didn't like were the way it handled doing a turn, the fact that the gear shift was on the bar between the handles and the OPC handles are really stupid looking and awkward.

just my opinion. but as I said, many people don't share my opinion down my way.

GEO

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I think Geo means one like this one of mine with the gear drive, but no belts. It is harder to turn smoothly than a belt drive (it has no belts and isn't a hydro) and it seems like it is heavier than a belt drive so it will tear up the turf alittle more when turning, maybe I don't know. I just got it and the ground is too wet to tell yet. I haven't had it cutting yet, it needs some work. I got it cheap and hope it will last me this season anyway. I have heard DO NOT GET ONE! the trannys are trash!
    so maybe if this is like you're talking about don't get it. this one has no problems and it has around 460hrs on it. I think the new ones are like all other commercial mowers in the deck, engine and drive system setups. So they should be fine, I just think that the machine and parts are more expensive than they are for other brands just as good.
    good luck,
    Eric

johndeereandsulky1.jpg

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

BHB,
    Are the gears for that thing in an enclosed gear box?

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Yup, internal wet disc clutches. Direct power like a hydro, no belt slippage. It's a nice mower as long as the ground isn't real wet (would help if the tires had some tread left) and I got it to turn better by loosening the brakes so they didn't squeeze all the way tight, so you can keep the wheels turning a tad on turns. That helped alot. I like it, just too bad it's a John Deere and that means parts are expensive, especially the clutches, they're said to be $900 to replace the clutches!!! I would like to keep it as a gate mower and backup and get a used hydro 48" or 52" something like that if my parents let me, to use for everything I can with a sulky and use the JD just for gated yards, as a backup, or on really large jobs with 2 people. Cause I like it pretty well compared to a belt drive I used before, that was brand new, and for what I have invested in this it will be cheap to own, so I will just use it when I have to so as to save wear on the clutches, and then when they blow out get a 36" belt drive if I have need for one, and use the deck and or engine from this for projects? But it is a nice mower compared to a belt drive IMO except for the parts $$ and availability (can't get anything major through J-Thomas, etc, just Deere.
    Eric

7. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

I have a JD 48" WB with the 17hp engine. I use it as a backup and on steep hills. Reliability is great. The motor is very strong. My complaints are the controls and the quality of cut. Tranny is OK. I had to replace the shift fork which was an expensive repair. This mower is about ten years old so I'm sure they have improved since then.

8. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

I have had a 48" like bushhog boy's for about 7 years and logged over 1000 hours. Everything still working so far. Like the tranny better than belt drives. Parts are expensive.

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

grassworks,
    Did you ever have any problems at all in that 1000 hr time span? This one has 460 and I have heard of some like it with not much more than that and the clutches blew on it, so I am trying to plan to not use it alot. It does seem like a nice mower.
    Thanks,
    Eric

10. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

i know a guy who used one of those ole yeller decks for years.it got stolen off his trailer in his driveway.it supposed to be GREATon hills,and he mowed some real hills,i know because he gave some to me.i think you got agood mower,i'd say it's good fo
    r plenty more hours! :D