John Deere Crank Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeyshane331, Mar 14, 2005.

1. mikeyshane331

mikeyshane331 LawnSite Member

I'm looking for information on the old John Deere crank decks. Does anyone know when they quit using this kind of deck, was it at the same time they quit using the yellow decks? If so, when was this. I'm also wondering if any of you all have ever owned one, and what did you think about it. I'm looking for good and bad information about them thanks
  2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I think they quit makin them mid to late 90's. I had one for several years, biggest problems where bushings, transmission cases (clutches too). They were a decent mower for there time. I still ocassionally see one around my neck of the woods. I sold mine in 2002 and it is still being used on a few rental properties. If my memory serves correctly these were followed up with the all green units that had the belt or hydro units.
  3. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

I had 3 of them until about 2 weeks ago. Had a 38, 48, and a 54 inch. All had high hours and were very good machines to me for around 3 years. They were all built around 92-94 and still worked great. The decks are not near as good in the thick or wet grass as our scags, but I really liked them. Holler if you have any more questions. I am not a mechanic, but worked on mine a whole lot.
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 48" crankdeck, 1994 model. Works great, always starts. I did have to replace the pins on the shift fork in the trans, but it was an easy repair. Other than that - no problems.