John Deere CTL 322

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wmtom, Jun 20, 2006.

1. wmtom

wmtom LawnSite Member

I have a John Deere CTL322 I only have 140 hrs on it. After running it for a couple hours you can notice a drop or loss in power. I do all the daily and hourly inspections when due. I have read the manual and it says drain the water separator I drain it almost daily now it will run good for an hour or two then the power drops. I am going to call my dealer tomorrow just thought I would ask while I was on here tonight. I have not changed the filter yet but plan to. Any thoughts.

Thanks
    Mike Thomas

2. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Change the fuel fiter and the water separator filter.The fuel filter is the small one down on the fuel tank where the line comes out of the tank.I would change both ,not that hard or expensive.

Check the air cleaner also. Good luck!

3. wmtom

wmtom LawnSite Member

picking up both filters tomorrow

Mike Thomas

4. icfbunt

icfbunt LawnSite Member

What do you think of the machine so far? I am going to be buying a track loader in a few months and would like some input,......have been looking at the ctl 322. Would like to hear from an owner.

thks......Larry

5. wmtom

wmtom LawnSite Member

I like the machine, the power loss was bad diesel. The cab design could be better. But all in all the machine is good and the service I get from my dealer is second to none.

Mike Thomas

6. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I own a ct 322 and it is a great machine we are very hard on it and it hasn't let us down yet. The pushing power is amazing and it will lift and carry about 5,000 lbs the tracks are holding up very well also.

7. icfbunt

icfbunt LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys,.........
    I ran a t180 bobcat the other day and it was a nice machine but lacked power. I do backfilling, rough grading and move quite a bit of heavy dirt. The ctl322 is in the same class as the t180. I will not even consider a t180,......now it is a t250 and a gehl ctl60 as well as the john deere 322. I hear lots of people say the gehl ctl 60 and the deere 322 have tons of power. I know the bobcat lacks power, but the deere only has 6 more hp. You think it actually makes that much difference? If I go with bobcat I know I will need to cough up another 10,000 to go to the t250, but the gehl ctl60 and jd 322supposedly perform much better than the t180. Does anyone have any idea how close they are to the t250 as far as pushing capacity and actual power?:weightlifter:

thks....LARRY

8. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

icfbunt- If you're comparing the CT322 to a Bobcat, the T-190 (K-Series) would be the closest match. The T-250 is a heavier machine. The Gehl has some nice specs, but you need to demo whichever machines you're considering. Specs and real world power are two different things. Don't let the engine H.P. fool you. It matters, but there are many variables that go into how well a machine performs. I have the CT332 and I traded in a T-300 for it. I've been very happy with the machine. I do the same kind of work as you, but I use a dozer the majority of the time. I have been very impressed with the push power (tractive effort) of the Deere. It also has very good lift and breakout power, and those three things are crucial for how I use mine. The 2-speed is nice too!

Here's a link comparing the Gehl, Bobcat, and Deere. http://www.deere.com/specsapp/servl...pecscompare.view.servlets.SpecsCompareServlet

I would definetly demo all 3 to see which machine best suites you.

9. icfbunt

icfbunt LawnSite Member

dozerman21, thanks for then info. I do know the 322 and the t190 are in the same class. I also know the 190 is underpowered. From what other people have said, the 322 pushes circles around the 190, which would make it closer to the t250. (not sure how close though).

Do you have a dozer or combo blade for your 332? If so, can you do some decent dozing? I dont operate a dozer, so I would like to use the 332 to do rough grading which does, at times involve pushing some heavy clay around.
    Do you think the 332 would do a decent job with this?

Also, I have seen the 322, but never the 332. Is this machine quite a bit larger than the 322? Looks like it weighs a bit more. Just don't want a big clumsy machine,...........

thks....Larry

10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

The T-250 and T-300 are in the same class as the CT332. The main difference between the two Bobcat models is the T-250 is radius lift and the T-300 is vertical lift. The CT332 is also vertical lift. I like the vertical lift because I load trucks with mine, and occasionally I'll work in tight spots where every inch counts. The CT332 is definetly heavier (around 2,500lbs.) than the CT322. It is also probably around 10K more, just guessing. It is a better pusher though, and it will have more grunt for the heavy lifting and hard clay. The tracks are wider so you'll have a lower ground pressure. I have the 84" construction bucket with a bolt on cutting edge. The design of the bucket gives you good visibility and also cuts and grades good. It doesn't have quite the capacity of Bobcat's 80" construction bucket, but it doesn't have as much spillage either, due to better rollback and smoother ride.

As far as the dozer blade, I don't like them for skid or track loaders. We bought a heavy duty one for our 1845C skid, and it just doesn't grade good. You bounce around too much and it makes the machine front end heavy. I have not tried it on a CTL, so it might do a little better, but I'd rather use my dozer. Having said that, I do think some of the new smaller blades that the OEM's sell would be ideal for cutting swales between houses or other tight areas. I think you would be better off though just using the bucket, or maybe a 4 in 1 would benefit you better.

I would check out the CT332. It doesn't seem bulky or clumsy to me at all. It has good visibility and it's a well engineered, powerful machine. After putting about 250 hours on mine, the I only have a couple of complaints. It burns more fuel per hour than the T-300 (I do run it wide open and this is usually the case with a bigger machine), and when you work in dusty conditions, the cab will let dust in more so than the Bobcat's cab did. I'm going to put some weatherstripping where the cab meets the frame and I think that will help. Neither complaint is that bad, but they could be better.

Go to www.deere.com to compare the CT332 and CT322, or any other brands. I would demo both machines and see if the smaller machine is all you need, and you'll save some money. If you need more power and a heavier machine, I think the CT332 would work good for ya.