John Deere Curb Apeal??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deere ZTR, Jun 17, 2003.

1. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Lets face it everybody knows John Deere and every Joe Blow home owner in the world is more than likely going to think that John Deere is the greatest thing in the world because of all the hype that they create.
    So my question is this how much of an advantage would it be to have a Deere on the trailer for the customer to look at instead of say and ex-mark that they more than likely have never heard of.

Also I'm considering a John Deere 797 with a Kawasaki liquid cooled fuel injected 29hp any thoughts on whether its worth it to spend the extra $$$ for the fuel injected or not??

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not sure it has anything to do with brand but alot of elderly people like to look at my ztr mower. I get alot of them that just like to check out the design of the ztr mowers. I think they are amazed at how fast you can mow with one. But, I don't think having one particular brand over another will make a difference.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I say the heck with john deere and just let people see the quality of work that you do with the mowers you have and forget about spending more money for green paint. I have had more peoplc ome up and talk about my Toro than others that run Deere. I personally dont think people really care.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that you will always run into a customer that says something like, "those mowers are worthless." or "I have had better luck with this brand." I still to this day have the old timers tell me what is good and bad about my machines even when they have never used them before or anything remotely similar to them.

5. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I know that your work speaks for its self but still I wonder especially here in the heartland since Deere is dominant in the Field if it doesn't appeal to Joe Home owner as well? Yes every mower is going to be criticized by somebody know matter what the brand name.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I happen to run Exmark and Gravely, but I can tell you that John Deere and Apple pie are about synonymous with one another. They both represent good American Quality, old fashion values, and are so well known for that. Now, with the new improvements made on the new Deere ZTR's, (except for the stamped deck they're still running), this is a winning, influential marketing value. I used to get teased alot by one of the dealers when I ran all Deere equipment awhile ago. He used to look out the window and say. "Boy, there's an awful lot of green out there!" all the while he was smiling. He sold Toro/wheelhorse and something else at the time. He knew I knew.....;)

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Win your customers respect by the quality of your work, not by what equipment you're using. I'm not going to sell my Exmark or use anything else just because a few customers might think it's better to use a brand they've heard of. Not a bad marketing idea, but just not logical for most of us. JMO.

8. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

I am in Deere country also, but I have to agree with Scag48 and NCSU. If you are doing a quality job, I highly doubt anyone will care about the brand that much. You will not get more work simply for running green. If so, what would stop a Chevy Man from not hiring you to mow his lawn if you showed up in a Dodge or a Ford? NOT GONNA HAPPEN. :dizzy:

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

So long as your equipment doesn't look like you just rescued it from the landfill, threw some bailing wire on it, blowing its own mosquito protection cloud, dripping black goo all over their nice green grass, and louder than the jumbo jet that just went over, Brand of mower really doesn't influence any customers.

With the exception of showing up with a lawn tractor made by Sears, MTD, or the like, people just seem to know those are meant for the homeowner to use.

If you're worried about having JD snobs for clients, go buy some JD paint and make your mower look like one.

Business practices and quality of work are want counts to the type customer we all want.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've found what matters more than brand name is the curb appeal of your whole rig and the curb appeal you add to the properties you service.

Having a simple, nice looking, matching rig and uniforms get more attention than any brand name. I'm talking a setup somewhere between Sanford & Son Lawn Care and Millionaire Lawn Care.

I have a lot of people approach me at gas stations and such. You'll be surprised what you can learn from the prospect if you'll just listen and I mean really listen. Most people come right out and say in one form or another that the image of everything of mine is impressive, yet I don't appear unapproachable like some of the guys with shiny $40,000+ trucks, huge lettered up enclosed trailers and a crew of several parading into the store.

In addition, most prospects could care less what brand you use. To most a mower is a mower. The curb appeal they care about is the curb appeal when you drop the gate at their curb and how the place looks when you leave.

Most folks don't want a rust bucket sitting out in front of their house while a raggedy looking crew cuts their lawn.

I used to run John Deere and honestly I don't think the Deere's never attracted the first person. I had just as many people approach me on a lawn I was cutting with the Murray as I did the other way around. These people were attracted because the work looked good, not because of the brand mower I was on.