John Deere equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Aug 16, 2003.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

This is basically 2 questions,and it involves J.D. equipment.When I decided to go into the landscaping business I just assumed that this would be the most popular brand for the simple reason that whenever I see a truck or trailer with a landscaping business logo on the side,more times than not there's a John Deere piece of equipment sitting on it.However,since joining this forum and reading many,many posts I don't see that much written about it.So is it or is it not the pro's choice,at least as far as lawn tractor's are concerned?Is it overpriced?Overrated?
    Secondly,I own 2 J.D. mowers:a Sabre and an LT 150.The latter had a mulch kit installed,I like it very much and feel like it can be a useful machine in my business,especially for the smaller properties. I've come to the realization,though,that the Sabre is virtually useless to me because there's no mulching apparratus available for this model and the grass catcher is time-consuming and clogs easily.I am thinking about trying to sell it or trade it.I can afford one nice tractor(8-10k range) at this time.Can someone recommend one for my small operation?Thanks in advance. Jim

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

have been running a jd 4500 for years and many others in the past i like the jd and fords it all depends what u are going to do with the machine. do u need a loader backhoe or just mower?
    is u mow u will want a hydrostatic trans or a power-reverser trans

3. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I JUST need a good mower because I'm just starting out and have a very small operation.I do have aspirations of being big one day and owning some of that other equipment you describe,but not now.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

if u are going to only have 1 good mower to rely on u have to get one that is going to do what u need and buy it from a mower shop that is willing to fix it right away or rent-give u a loaner mower. i can buy mowers in my area cheaper from large mower shops but they wont fix the machine in under 2 weeks so i pay more to my local shop and my mowers get fixed on the spot if not overnight so i can keep making money

5. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

Can anybody tell me about the newer John Deere 2-cycle equipment? My dealer said that John Deere bought Green Machine, and I'm wondering if this might be a good alternative to Echo equipment. I'm specifically considering a line trimmer.