1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere F510 problem

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jec6, May 18, 2007.

1. jec6

jec6 LawnSite Member

I'm new to the forum (and garden tractors). I am having a problem with my F510 that I hoping someone can help point me in the right direction on the solution. The F510 is a 3 wheel mower with rear wheel steer and has a 14hp Kawasaki engine and hydrostatic drive. I recently purchased this tractor used with the hour meter showing ~150 hours on it. It seemed to be in good shape when I purchased it but after the 3rd time I used it to my my yard, it began to bog down and seemed to lose power. I noted a small amount of smoke, that didn't smell like rubber (belt) burning, but couldn't identify the source. Once I shut the mower down and restarted it, it would not move in forward or reverse. As soon as I took my foot off the brake and engage the drive the engine would stall. When I went to disengage the hydro so I could roll it into my garage for a closer look I found I had to tap the brake actuator lightly with a hammer to get it to disengage so it would roll freely.

When the drive is not engaged, the engine starts and runs just fine.

I am not very familiar with the mower or the detail working of a hydro. Is there something simple I can do/check like flush the fluid or am I screwed?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

You may have identified the problem in your writing. The brakes may be stuck or may be activated while running thus making near impossible for the engine to defeat them.

Could be a sticky valve or actuator. Not sure but it's worth your while to investigate the brakes.