John Deere F680 vs. Lazer HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Mtn. Guy, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Green Mtn. Guy

Green Mtn. Guy LawnSite Member

I'm needing some info on the 680 front mount z-track. Anyone use one of these machines? I'm a solo operater looking for one mower to go with my 21" Honda. How much better would the trimibility be compared to a Lazer HP? On uneven terain would the 48" deck cut cleaner than the 54" or the 52" on the Lazer HP? I have demoed a Lazer HP 48" 20hp. Not much offset. Sweet machine. Felt alittle scary on the hills. I live on Kauai so I can not test the JD F680 in person. Is it good on hills? My accounts are tightly landscaped with some hills and rolling terrain to flat open acreage. I mulch when ever I can. How does the 7 Iron deck mulch? Needing some opinions for the final purchase. :confused:

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I can not speak on behalf of JD, but I can on Exmark. I own a unit like the one you are considering, Exmark Lazer Z HP 52", 23Kaw. I love this unit! Once you get more comfortable with it, you will realize that it can handle very steep grades and stick to them like glue. The 52" have plenty of off set and it's manuvurability makes trimming really close a sinch. I have used a 72" JD front mount and I can tell you that my Lazer will run circles around it in tight areas. Even if the deck sizes were the same I believe the Exmark is easier to manuvure. I'm an Exmark fan!

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the eXmark 52" HP also. The HP is designed for landscaped homes. It has a lower center of gravity to hold hills well. Its compact footprint means I can take it anywhere a w/b will go. Its about the same lenght. The trim side is great, you can get all the way up to anything.

The HP 52" is also faster. It has the same speed as the full size lazers. 9.5 mph.

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a 2002 Lazer HP 52" 23 Kohler. All I can say is the more I use it, the more I like it. I'm an Exmark fan all the way. Their customer sevice is second to none, in my opnion. If this new Lazer holds up as well as my Exmark Viking hydro 48" has, I will be very happy.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They're two totally different machines, but I would also suggest a 52" Lazer HP~!

You'll get into a lot tighter places with the Lazer HP compared to ANY front mount.

6. You wont believe the cut you get with the exmark. Top of the class. As far as deere is concern there are so many others to give thought to before buying deere

7. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

What does the price run on the eXmark 52" HP?

8. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

I prefer the Deere. I own and F620 which was the predecessor to the F680. Deere now has an F687 which is a 23hp vs. the 20hp in the older model. I liked the front deck, you sit just in front of the motor so your weight plust the motor weight gives you great traction and the Deere has a lower center of gravity than any midmount mower out there (I think Hustler Super Z would be the closest competiton). BUT with commercial mowers, they all have one great aspects that everybody who owns one likes the best. It basically comes down to the dealer and the service that dealer can provide. My JD dealer is wonderful and I could not ask for a better dealer. IF your Exmark dealer can give you better service get the Exmark. Same with JD. I must also note that I have had no trouble whatsoever with my JD F620 since this current dealer took care of all the problems created from the original JD dealer I bought the mower off of. I do not even get equipment from any other dealer than my current dealer, Flock Implement in Rockville, IN.

Matt:blob3:

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lazer all the way. Ran JD's in the past and found that their customer service sucks!!! Exmark is the number 1 commercial mower manufacturer because they care about their customers and build a high quality product.:) ;) :) ED

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Actually I don't think the JD has a lower center of gravity than a HP. Its kinda like being on a low rider.

[​IMG]