John Deere F687 or 757??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by POPO4995, Jun 7, 2006.

1. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going to purchase a new mower but dont know if I want a F687 or 757. Both would be 60" 7IRON II decks. The out front deck design is really appealing to me but I dont know if the speed would make a difference or not, since they are a little slower than the midmounts. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
  2. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

What are you cutting property wise? If you have a lot of wide open area, the midmount is the way to go. But if there are a lot of turns, curves, tree, and other obstacles, the front deck will come in handy and cut down on the trimming.
  3. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

go with the 757 its a bad a$$ machine and will hoss through anything u run over with it.. i drove one for over year when working for soemone b4 i got out on my own .. this was a few years ago and i know they have made them better since then ..... if thats the only mowers your choosing between then go 757 otherwise get an Exmark
  4. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

Easier resale.
    Easier trailering (less space) and storing.
  5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Rodneyskip Did you try the 777 before you bought the 757 ?
    I am still trying to decide between the Exmark Ultracut deck or the new Mulch on Demand 777. Have you compared it with an Exmark?
  6. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

never ran the F687 but I love our 757, and so does the helpers. But I dont think that you would go wrong with either!
  7. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

I have not tried the 777 personally, but have talked with folks who run them. They all seem happy with them.

I have a 757 MOD I did have a 757 7-iron II for about 2 months and traded for the MOD. If you do a search you can see what I posted about the difference between the two decks.
    Basically on my larger accounts, I wish I had the 7-iron II, but for all my accounts less than 2 acres I am glad that I have the MOD. The MOD saves on clean-up time, is great in High traffic areas, and around flowerbeds, ponds, parkinglots, etc... The 7-iron II can cut faster and disperses better, but because of the great dispersal can really make a mess around beds, ponds, etc...

As far as EXmark vs JD I have not tried. But if you do a search on here under 757 I think you will find some who run both and wish that they were both 757's. But I know of no one that has had real mower time on an exmark and a MOD deck.

For a solo operator a MOD deck is better because of less clean-up - but it will cause you to double cut more due to stragglers.
  8. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I only buy Deere so Exmark is outta the question but I have alot of residential accounts but I also have condo associations and wide open areas.....decisions, decisions:rolleyes: