John Deere F725 (front deck) And BAD Blowout Problem!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nitrousoxide764, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Nitrousoxide764

Nitrousoxide764 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I just bought this mower a few weeks ago not running. With the help of everyone here I rebuilt it and now it purrs like a kitten. The original stock blades were shot so I replaced them with gators before I even fired the machine up. The cut is great but I have a TERRIBLE blowout effect coming from all around the entire deck. With this being a front deck machine, I am constantly in a cloud of sand and grass clipppings. This just can't be how this mower is designed to cut. I also have a high end bagger on this machine that runs off the deck pullies and sits on it's own wheels. The blowout just gets WORSE when the bagger is installed.

Can somone give me some pointers on things to try to solve this problem. This is my fist commercial mower. Maybe someone here has this mower and has been through the same problems. I'm wondering if I should try stock blades, or some kind of double blade combo???? Or maybe need to fiddle with deck pitch????? I did a search but nobody mentioned this kind of problem with my particular machine. Not sure what to try exactly................just looking for some info. THANKS!

2. Nitrousoxide764

from Georgia

Heres some pics. in case someone has the same machine, with the same setup, with the same problems. THANKS!

photo0028.jpg

3. Nitrousoxide764

from Georgia

From the other side!

photo0029.jpg

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I would check the deck pitch first and then try different blades. Would kind of blades are you running?

5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

we have the exact same machine. it was one of our very first mowers about a decade ago. we just use it to pull stuff around the shop now, but we never had the problem you are describing. sorry. (by the way, would you like to buy another one?) (also by the way: keep your eye on the back of that thing when you are turning, it likes to swing out and crush bushes, siding, etc.)

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely check the deck pitch. The thing that throws me off on THIS though, is that you say you are getting a great cut. If you were running a negative pitch, the cut probably wouldn't be so good. You want between 1/8 and 1/4 difference in difference of blade tips. It may be just an optical illusion, but from the first picture, it almost appears as if the front of the deck is higher than the back. However, this could just be the angle of the cement. Also, get rid of your gators, and just go with some type of foils.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever you do, do NOT use double blade combos unitl you have solved your problem. That will make your blowout problem even worse using doubles...

8. Nitrousoxide764

from Georgia

Thanks for the replies. I've got some kind of gator blades on there right now. They are just cheap agri supply blades. They were like $8.00 each. They do look aggresive however. The deck pitch on flat cement has the front of the deck about 1/2 inch lower than the rear. I guess the pics. don't show this. So do I need to play with the pitch and experiment with different blades?? That's what I have gotten out of the replies................. at least so far.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Don't judge the deck pitch by what the edges of the deck show. You have to turn your blades so they are facing stright forward to back. Then, you measure the heights of the tips. Different decks have different configurations.

10. Nitrousoxide764

from Georgia

I got ya' Runner, I'll check this and go from there. Thanks!