John Deere F725 Out Front Mower-Are they any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAD, Jun 27, 2005.

1. BAD

BAD LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever had an experience with a John Deere F725? I am thinking about purchasing one and wondering how they hold up. Would appreciate any opinions.
    Thanks,
    Bobby

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about the John Deere but the larger lawn care companys around her swear by the Grasshopper front mounts. I can see where a front mount would come in handy but the mid mounts seem to have most of the market. I just looked at a picture of the F725. I'm no expert but it looks like the grass hopper would run circles around this particular John Deere model. Why would you want the steering wheel over levers? But as far as holding up John Deere has a great reputation in that area. Good luck on whatever you buy. Test drive several models before buying would be my advice. Lots of good companies to choose from.

3. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

i believe the f725 is an old design so why would jd keep making and selling it if it were junk? ive seen lots of these machines used by municipalities everywhere they are just an old workhorse and a great design that people still want! imo its a good machine!

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

they make it due to people that r not real good with the sticks they need a wheel its eaiser to put a new guy on a wheel and let him go they r also very nice mowers to boot i have run them and i like them in the wide areas they r great and not bad in the small spots also

5. hnter

hnter LawnSite Member

built very tough and so far reliable (1,000 hrs, routine maintenance, 0 problems)...decent cut, easy to operate, quick crank deck height adjustment, lots of attachments...not a great mulcher, even with the tricycler mulch kit, also not the fastest or most maneuverable and even with the locking differential you'll spin tires fairly easily--make sure you leave room to back out of every situation...overall functionality will depend on your application, but i wouldn't worry about the mower holding up...

6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer to use a ZTR, its just more maneuverable. the F725 is a rugged design, but like I said, I like the ZTR better, its just easier for me.

7. Husqman

Husqman LawnSite Member

We have one at one of the cemetery's I take care of has around 1400 hours on it. To me it is extremely hard to get it to mow in a straight line also the back end sticks out very far. cut is average it barely moves in reverse of course that could be because of the hours on the unit. overall reliability seems pretty good.

8. B2Mach1

B2Mach1 LawnSite Member

We have two F725's and they are two of the best tractors in our fleet. They are just about indestructible. We also have the newer ZTR stick control models/brands others have mentioned on this board and they just can't beat the F725. They were absolutely worth the 11 grand new. One of our F725's has the Power Flow bagging system and the other has the John Deere mulching kit. The mulching kit works absolutely great...even in yards that are sprinkled and fertilized. The bagger works great with leaves and grass. I should add that the bagger doesn't really bag...it puts the grass/leaves in a container that is dumped to the side via a release. Our territory in northeast Indiana and we mow fine textured predominately blue grass lawns. The only draw back on these models is the hitch height... a little too high for some accessories. When pulling an aerator the wheels tend to slip a bit on slopes. You do have a traction/posilock pedal to aid with this issue. But, overall the traction is good and the pedal is only used on wet/damp slopes when not towing. I would think you will be more than happy with your F725.

9. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

We got ours in 1994

currently about 2600 hours

mows, aerates, sweeps, dethatches, sprays weeds, blows snow and even makes julienne fries, (put potato under mowing deck, turn on deck):laugh:

As far as I know its currently not in production